• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

People behind me calling themselves ‘The A Team’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Nobody ever names their software "Bag of old toss". Funny old thing, gives plenty of scope for morons (oxy or otherwise)
    Along time ago in a company far, far away I did surreptitiously create and name a function:

stopDoubleClickingThatFrackingButtonYouBeardyWeird yLeftieTwunk()

It's still there in live I believe.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

When I used to work for Big Blue ... working with the Power series (pSeries and AIX to the rest of us), there was one guy in the team that labeled us as ..... The Power Rangers!!

No wonder I left. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Nobody ever names their software "Bag of old toss". Funny old thing, gives plenty of scope for morons (oxy or otherwise)
        I called a system FIASCO once. It was. FInancial And Staff Costs Outturn IIRC...

Comment

One large Insurance type company had a major system called OPAL - some bastardised acronym like Online Pensions And Life allegedly.

the nightly batch run on the system was called FRUIT........ I don't think anyone was sad enough to have invented a dodgy acronym - they just liked it!

Anyone from there who remembers me

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
            One large Insurance type company had a major system called OPAL - some bastardised acronym like Online Pensions And Life allegedly.

the nightly batch run on the system was called FRUIT........ I don't think anyone was sad enough to have invented a dodgy acronym - they just liked it!

I worked on OPAL back in the nineties.

Where were you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I worked on OPAL back in the nineties.

Where were you located?
              I was in Euston...... plus many visits to Reading.......

<Drewster scratches head.......Thinks of some names....>
              Tom Lally??
              errrrr........
              Oh Tulip.... the brains are going soft........
              errrrr........

Comment

I was in Euston...... plus many visits to Reading.......

<Drewster scratches head.......Thinks of some names....>
                Tom Lally??
                errrrr........
                Oh Tulip.... the brains are going soft........
                errrrr........
                Oh yes, the great Tom Lally. The company's OPAL Guru who somehow remained a contractor.

I was in Euston too, then Reading on the WOOFY project.

I remember loads of people, any of these ring a bell? At Euston I worked with Jill Hill, Steve Davis and Fergus McLaughlin. And a bloke called Terry Mason who made me laugh a lot, but sadly died not long after I left. At Reading Des Foster was my PM. He was an amusing bloke too.

Comment

My favourite ever application name was a new reservation system Travel Inn introduced about 10 years ago, it was called BART:

Big Awesome Reservation Thingy
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Lock them all in the stationary cubboard and see if they can fashion a drawing pin firing tank out of post its and pens from the many varied contents. Obviously that wouldn't happen here as stationary is as rare as rocking horse poo!

I aint gettin in no cupboar sukka ggrrr
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      Oh yes, the great Tom Lally. The company's OPAL Guru who somehow remained a contractor.
                      Mr Lally hated me/us - because as OPAL Guru he was also Adabas/Natural Guru and had outrageous access (Admin level in Prod) and we were implementing ENDEVOR and (automated) controlled promotion.... which (obviously) didn't require anyone (even the great Tom Lally) to have Godlike authority even in Dev........
                      Do you think he recognised this as good practice?
                      Do you think he welcomed it with open arms?

Fraid the names don't ring any bells.....
                      What about Malc ??? and Roy Young - Printing/CSF guys.... I remember them from "another large insurance type" company (that used to have a HQ just over/down the road from this one - in Holborn)

Comment

Working...
                      X