• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to bring back foxhunting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOXES are being blamed for digging up ancient bones at a city cemetery.

Residents living near Rosebank Cemetery, in Pilrig, discovered the gruesome damage while walking there at the weekend.

The city council said it was aware of the damage, and that its pest control team was monitoring the situation. However it is illegal to kill foxes by poisoning or snares.

One resident, who asked not to be named, said he was shocked to see bones lying around.

"We found a massive pile of sand and earth, and there were a couple of vertebrae and other bones lying there.

"It wasn't a nice sight to see. It looked quite eerie – it sent a shiver down my spine. It was one of the older graves from the 1860s that was affected.

"I think the council need to do something about it, although I know it can be difficult to keep foxes out."

Although the bones appeared to have been cleared away yesterday, a large fox hole and pile of earth were clearly visible next to one grave. Council workmen in the cemetery said the problem had been going on for several weeks.

Harald Tobermann, a committee member of Pilrig Residents' Association, said many people had complained about foxes in streets and gardens in the area.
    Gruesome find as foxes dig human bones from grave - Scotsman.com Heritage & Culture

Comment

It doesn't actually say "They were digging up graves in Edinburgh recently, they got someone's spine out a coffin and were having a good chew on it.".

I'd have thought that considering the age of the grave that it's more likely to be rabbits burrowing and throwing up debris.

What would interest a fox in a grave that's 150 years old?

Comment

However it is illegal to kill foxes by poisoning or snares.
        Some sort of IR triggered Air Rifle then. Might be some collateral damage (cats and squirrels mostly) but will definitely solve the fox problem.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

I'd have thought that considering the age of the grave that it's more likely to be rabbits burrowing and throwing up debris.

a rabbit
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            WCS

Fox hunting is pointless and cruel. Though the idea of the hunt is good.

Controlled culls are a better idea or local councils should face up to the fact that urban foxes are becoming more prevalent and should sort out a way of disposing of them.

Thankfully I live in the sticks where farmers shoot them on sight, so there isn't a problem with them trashing your rubbish on collection day.
            I dont quite understand why you seem to think shooting foxes is less cruel than hunting them. A fox hunt may be an inefficient way of killing them but once they are caught they are dead unlike a fox that is "winged" by a gun.
            I see it is OK for farmers and people who live in the country to have foxes killing their livestock, but as soon as the townies realise that foxes are indeed dangerous vermin they are no longer the touchy feely little creatures that we all love.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              a rabbit
              Yep, could be.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                I dont quite understand why you seem to think shooting foxes is less cruel than hunting them. A fox hunt may be an inefficient way of killing them but once they are caught they are dead unlike a fox that is "winged" by a gun.
                I see it is OK for farmers and people who live in the country to have foxes killing their livestock, but as soon as the townies realise that foxes are indeed dangerous vermin they are no longer the touchy feely little creatures that we all love.
                I'd rather be shot than chased over hill and dale only to be ripped apart by dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  It doesn't actually say "They were digging up graves in Edinburgh recently, they got someone's spine out a coffin and were having a good chew on it.".

How many carnivorous rabbits do you know that can lift a human bone up through 6 feet of soil?

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    How many carnivorous rabbits do you know that can lift a human bone up through 6 feet of soil?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Although the bones appeared to have been cleared away yesterday, a large fox hole and pile of earth were clearly visible next to one grave. Council workmen in the cemetery said the problem had been going on for several weeks.
                      <pedant>
                      l

foxhole |ˈfɒkshəʊl|
                      noun
                      a hole in the ground used by troops as a shelter against enemy fire or as a firing point.
                      • a place of refuge or concealment.

Methinks they meant a fox earth.
                      </pedant>
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X