• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going to miss you all

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I don't think I will have internet access at work.
    No way! They've got to have net access even if they monitor/block a lot of sites.

Net access in banks is crucial to employees keeping abreast of up-to-the-minute financial news.

And yep, I'm in a bank too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
      It does depend on the bank, where I am now has CUK but not certain other sites I watch. Websense monitored.

My previous bank was more lax with there web permissioning.
      The last bank I was at didn't block the likes of CUK, but there was a general ban on making posts.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Net access in banks is crucial to employees keeping abreast of up-to-the-minute financial news.
        That's how it was at my last bank. When they asked us to cut back on surfing we simply switched to financial sites.

More to the point, how are you going to solve those tricky little code problems without seeing if someone else has published a solution? I've worked at places where I've had to do that from home, but it's frustrating.

Comment

The Swiss lakes look fab. but I never had the urge to jump in. I think I will be safe enough.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            That's how it was at my last bank. When they asked us to cut back on surfing we simply switched to financial sites.

More to the point, how are you going to solve those tricky little code problems without seeing if someone else has published a solution? I've worked at places where I've had to do that from home, but it's frustrating.
            Yes, I'm bricking it. I hope the USB ports are not disabled

I will not be working in the banks main site, we are a special project. In a very secure off-site location.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Good luck

I've only ever been to Switzerland in the Summer and I loved it -
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Did my morning routine this morning.
                Booted up and had breakfast while catching up on CUK.
                Then I realised this might be the last time I do that this year.
                Heading back to London soon, for handover hell!
                Then on to Zurich, working on client site (a bank)

So no more daytime on CUK. I might have to
                Zurich sounds nice, in the summer. But it must be pretty nippy in winter.

I went through Switzerland by train in the '70s, in january, and it was unbelievably cold, even though I was wearing a huge, thick, ankle-length greatcoat (as studenty types often did in those days).
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Zurich sounds nice, in the summer. But it must be pretty nippy in winter.

I went through Switzerland by train in the '70s, in january, and it was unbelievably cold, even though I was wearing a huge, thick, ankle-length greatcoat (as studenty types often did in those days).
                  Zurich is not that cold most winters*, and Zurich itself doesn't see much snow. It tends to be a bit grey in winter. It's the lake and surrounding mountains wot does that.

Geneva in January had me ducking into cafes and shops to keep warm. The wind coming off Lake Leman can be wickedly cold.

* Please bear in mind that I used to live on the edge of the moors in Yorkshire

Comment

Hope you have fun & that we see you every so oftern
                    Growing old is mandatory
                    Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                    X