• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pair Programming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of 'pair programming' is this?

Sounds more like you're the senior and you need to train this novice.

If they're not up to the task, and not being able to get SVN running after a few weeks I'd suggest IT is not a career they should aspire too, I'd go to the manager and tell them this guy needs replacing.

If you don't, you will get the blame for the failure.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

How can someone be good but not able to use SVN? Any developer NOT using source control as standard, or thinking it's an optional extra, has serious deficiencies.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        How can someone be good but not able to use SVN? Any developer NOT using source control as standard, or thinking it's an optional extra, has serious deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

I'm taking the tablets, honest.

mice

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I think it's more of a case of doing it on his own for the glory. The SVN is a nice reason to keep working on his own.

Only five and a bit weeks left of the current contract left anyway, subject to possible extension. The locations is great, but the project isn't the best. Still we can't have it all, eh!

Comment

It'd be a shame if his PC got kicked over by mistake...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                Odd how things can come together. The team leader just came over so I just said that we had to ensure that all the code is being checked in. As if by magic the 'other half' appeared moments later so I've agreed to stay late to help get a working version of the code checked in.

I do find this kind of manoeuvring somewhat distasteful, but I guess it's a part of working. Still all seems okay and no bad feeling.
                I would check his code in as is, and commet it as his code. Then check it out or branch it, before making any changes to get it working. Because if there is any problems, you are bound to here the phrase "It was working for me"
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                  I would check his code in as is, and commet it as his code. Then check it out or branch it, before making any changes to get it working. Because if there is any problems, you are bound to here the phrase "It was working for me"
                  I intend to go one better. I'm going to sit with him while he checks in his working version (when it works). I'd rather have a basic working version than a fancy, 'nearly working' version.

Comment

Pair programming is just one technique of Agile software development. You might want to point out other techniques to him (or management) starting with Continuous integration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      I think it's more of a case of doing it on his own for the glory. The SVN is a nice reason to keep working on his own.

Only five and a bit weeks left of the current contract left anyway, subject to possible extension. The locations is great, but the project isn't the best. Still we can't have it all, eh!
                      A person who will only / can only code on their own is also not suitable for a career in IT.

Code is a method of telling another programmer what you intend the computer to do. If they're incapable of this then their code is worthless.
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X