• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rendition flights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who leak "official" documents should be shot! It completely undermines the trust of the positions these people hold!

...and when you look at the memo it only says "could" which when I last checked didnt actually mean something was a fact.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
      People who leak "official" documents should be shot! It completely undermines the trust of the positions these people hold!
      True, we should wait until they have spun it into a nicely worded press release like good little citizens.
      All that is necessary for evil members to succeed is that good members post nothing

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4623210.stm

So let me see if Ive got this right. I can come up with a list of planes, along with their rego numbers...make the claim they are being used to move terrorists around the world for interogation and then run a story on the Beeb and suddenly its a fact?

A list of planes and an accusation does not a fact make...perhaps these snp goons should be made aware of this too

Mailman
        The BBC report said:

The Scottish Executive has been asked to co-operate fully with a new European committee's investigation into US flights carrying terror suspects.
        It follows a report by the SNP which it believes details US intelligence flights through Scottish airports.
        I believe that is a fact. The SNP did produce such a report, and did ask the Executive to co-operate with the the EU committee investigation.

The BBC did not report that CIA planes used airports in Scotland for rendition flights. So what "fact" are you disputing?

BTW much as it pains me to agree with AtW, the US has not so much admitted as avowed rendition.

Comment

Ignore Mailman, he thinks he's the reincarnation of John Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
            The BBC report said:
            I believe that is a fact. The SNP did produce such a report, and did ask the Executive to co-operate with the the EU committee investigation.

The BBC did not report that CIA planes used airports in Scotland for rendition flights. So what "fact" are you disputing?
            The fact that I can come up with a list and then claim the planes on it are being used for rendition flights regarldess of the fact I have nothing, apart from heresay, to back myself up.

Thats the fact Im talkin bout!

Mailman

Comment

They have moral and should have legal obligation to inform the public about things that matter to the public but being kept hidden behind doors.

Word "secret" should not be in the vocabulary of a democratic Govt.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                They have moral and should have legal obligation to inform the public about things that matter to the public but being kept hidden behind doors.

Word "secret" should not be in the vocabulary of a democratic Govt.
                You have just confirmed you live in laalaa land AtW!

Mailman

Comment

You have just confirmed you live in laalaa land AtW!
                  Why would USA need to actually use these rendition flights? What's the purposes of that? I mean really, WHY this is done in the first place?

What are they afraid of? Surely "terrorists" have no chance in even planning to storm prisons where their fellow "terrorists" are kept?

The only reasonable explanation I have for rendition flights is to allow prisoners to be tortured in other countries where USA laws don't work.

Comment

The explanation is certainly reasonable - there is no other reason for a big country like USA with lots of prisons to waste money flying POWs around the world if it was not to avoid US laws on torture.

However reasonable the explanation is, what they do is not compatible with democratic due process and it certainly does not give any results.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                      The only reasonable explanation I have for rendition flights is to allow prisoners to be tortured in other countries where USA laws don't work.
                      Clearly. It's sad that the government of the US seem to see US consitutional protections more as troublesome restrictions than as a guide to how government should work. Evidence that the constituional limits are needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X