• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT Contractors - Most wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    Apparently in several towns 1 in 5 of all working people are working for the gov or council etc. etc.
    Actually almost 1 in 5 of all working people in the UK are employed by the state, not just in several towns. As of September 2005, the state employed 5,826,000 people out of a working population of 30,000,000. Assuming last year's trend continues, that figure will now be about 5,850,000.

Graph of annual changes in public sector employment, United Kingdom:

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
      Actually almost 1 in 5 of all working people in the UK are employed by the state, not just in several towns. As of September 2005, the state employed 5,826,000 people out of a working population of 30,000,000. Assuming last year's trend continues, that figure will now be about 5,850,000.

Annual changes in public sector employment, United Kingdom

On the basis of not biting the hand that feeds you, the vast majority of these workers vote no doubt for NL.

Depressing.
      Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 18 January 2006, 11:00.

Comment

Interesting that the graph suddenly goes to quarterly bars after it becomes positive, thereby shortening the climb dramatically.

Over the 2003/4 period it was running at over 1/2 mill per annum increase - that is insane, not to mention unsustainable.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          The government has more than doubled its share of usage of freelance IT consultants over the last two years, according to research from contractor services company Giant Group.
          It used to be that government contracts payed peanuts but to me it looks like the complete opposite now. Have a search in jobserve and you will find that the best paying contracts are for the Government. Most of private sectors contracts are for less than 500 quid while rates for gov starts at 500 quid.

Ahhh the world is changing... I am starting to feel old.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Gruntfuttock
            Interesting that the graph suddenly goes to quarterly bars after it becomes positive, thereby shortening the climb dramatically.

Over the 2003/4 period it was running at over 1/2 mill per annum increase - that is insane, not to mention unsustainable.
            Surely you're not saying that the Office of National Statistics is not quite as independent of the executive as it makes out are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gruntfuttock
              The graph is of annual changes, not changes-since-last-bar, and the horizontal scale is by time, not by bars; so the climb is not massaged.

Comment

I work for local government! Yay me! And as all the permies keep leaving, my role at an inflated rate is relatively secure as no-one else knows what to do!

Comment

Way to go, Ladymuck. You may as well jump on board that all at the taxpayers' expense <toot-toot> gravy train and fill yer boots.

I tell you what, I am seriously considering getting a permie job with the local council doing anything. Outreach co-ordinator, building manager, who cares what as long as get decent cash for doing jack all and a bullet proof pension.

Comment

Working...
                  X