• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you a proper contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interestingly enough most of my perm jobs seem to last about 5 years

first 2 years - getting to know the job and the people - can be quite fun

next 2 years - climbing the greasy poll as evident skills and talent come to the fore - get loads a money!

last year being managed out of the business because you are starting to make your boss look like a clueless bell end due to obvious talent and an unwillingness to kiss ass.

ok you do not get the extra cash you do with contracting - but also you do not get the stress of no contract/bench time/running company accounts etc etc etc

so looks like another 4.5 years in my current job then....

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      I can't stand the idea of being in the same place for more that 2 years max.
      Don't like office politics
      Don't like reviews, or any HR paperwork.
      Don't like budgets.

Got agree with all of that, except for the 2 years part. Generally I find 6 months is enough for me to start wanting to leave.
      Spent 18 months on one contract, mitigated by the fact that I spent 9 months on one site and the other 9 else where.

Just to add to the list:
      I am never worried in the slightest about having a contract terminated early or not getting an extension
      I never have to think about getting a "pay rise" or a promotion
      Every new contract means a clean slate and an opportunity to do things better
      I know that in 6 months the annoying c**t I have to deal with on a daily basis will be nothing more than a tulip memory
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I give this thread 2 out of 10!

NEXT!!!!!!!!!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Got agree with all of that, except for the 2 years part. Generally I find 6 months is enough for me to start wanting to leave.
          Spent 18 months on one contract, mitigated by the fact that I spent 9 months on one site and the other 9 else where.

Just to add to the list:
          I am never worried in the slightest about having a contract terminated early or not getting an extension
          I never have to think about getting a "pay rise" or a promotion
          Every new contract means a clean slate and an opportunity to do things better
          I know that in 6 months the annoying c**t I have to deal with on a daily basis will be nothing more than a tulip memory
          Maybe you should think about moving into a new area, work wise or client wise. Have you thought about changing sectors. I think different industries attract certain types, but 6 months is a bit too short maybe you are just picking the wrong jobs.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I give this thread 2 out of 10!

NEXT!!!!!!!!!
            Who cares what you think.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Like the mercenary, money hungry, Sasguru.

Or just biding your time until the dream permy gig comes along?

Is the latter just deluding themselves? Or the former?

Poll follows.
              There's no option for them that's semi-retired on their winnings and just flit about interfering ĥĥĥĥĥĥĥ helping out here and there on various Plan Bs?
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Who cares what you think.
                Have another cake fatty and leave the posting to the grown ups.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  There's no option for them that's posting from the hospital EMI ward.
                  ftfy.

Nurse!!!

Comment

Maybe you should think about moving into a new area, work wise or client wise. Have you thought about changing sectors. I think different industries attract certain types, but 6 months is a bit too short maybe you are just picking the wrong jobs.
                    The projects I work on (which is dictated by the type of work I do) have a 6 month core development life span, after that it moves into change request/support territory which is the point at which I get itchy feet and need to hand over to the permies.
                    The longer contracts I've had have been combinations of smaller projects, again about 6 months each

I don't concentrate on a specific sector... I've been in healthcare, retail, manufacturing, government agency, publishing and telecoms in the past 4 years
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Have another cake fatty and leave the posting to the grown ups.
                      Yes, we had some very grown up posting yesterday.
                      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                      X