• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Train Journey This Morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    Twin Napier engines - 18 cylinders apiece!
    It puts our tappity-tap work into perspective - here's a conversation around putting one into a truck

"Where to begin, having built a number of these over the years.......
    Damned expensive, and I mean expensive. when I left the 42K's that we were building for the Indian navy were over a £1M each, thats in 1984.
    The 59ks were cheaper, but far less powerfull.
    Very very light, but hugely complex, specific fuel consumption was an issue, we could never get them as good on juice as a simple four stroke, say like the RP200 either 12 or 18cyl versions.
    Very labour intensive to build, 1000's of man hours each, the complexity of assembly with large ovens for the crankcases, and small vats of liquid nitrogen were a hoot,(dropping large bearings into the cases etc) the knife edge seals could be daunting if the fit and finish were not 100%, so oil would leak internally and not supply the bearings properly.
    Hylomar everwhere, so the face finish of any matting edges was critical.
    Big torque wrench and multiplier were the order of the day. the cyl liners were 1000ft/lbs.

But they are a flipping great engine, and I miss working on them."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I was never hauled by a Deltic but I did cab one once. The original Deltic prototype no less. Never forget how I was enthralled by the throb of those twin Napier engines as I stood next to the driver in that cab.

Comment

And in honour of said loco, I've change my avatar!!!

Comment

And in honour of said loco, I've change my avatar!!!
          This thead is legendary! Long may it run.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            It puts our tappity-tap work into perspective - here's a conversation around putting one into a truck
            "Where to begin, having built a number of these over the years.......
            Damned expensive, and I mean expensive. when I left the 42K's that we were building for the Indian navy were over a £1M each, thats in 1984.
            The 59ks were cheaper, but far less powerfull.
            Very very light, but hugely complex, specific fuel consumption was an issue, we could never get them as good on juice as a simple four stroke, say like the RP200 either 12 or 18cyl versions.
            Very labour intensive to build, 1000's of man hours each, the complexity of assembly with large ovens for the crankcases, and small vats of liquid nitrogen were a hoot,(dropping large bearings into the cases etc) the knife edge seals could be daunting if the fit and finish were not 100%, so oil would leak internally and not supply the bearings properly.
            Hylomar everwhere, so the face finish of any matting edges was critical.
            Big torque wrench and multiplier were the order of the day. the cyl liners were 1000ft/lbs.

But they are a flipping great engine, and I miss working on them."
            I prefer the japanese version

"Very easy to build, we simply tipped the delvery truck contents into the warehouse and hit the go button, by the time we came back from morning exercises the first 10 would be finished. After sushi, noodles and saki we'd have another 20 finished.
            They used oil to lubricate internally, all manufacturing was done to a 10 micrometer tolerance so everything was as tight as a gnats arse and we never actually saw any of the oil infact the factory's carpets were still brilliant white when I left after 25 years loyal service"
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Train on time; heating off; five carriages.
              Wot luxury.
              Indeed. 5 carriages on a Friday when there are less people. Our regional line runs 1 or 2 car sets on a Friday.

Comment

Closing the train doors

How times have changed I remarked to myself as I got off the train at Swindon this morning. The poor guard has to walk the whole length of the train to close all the open doors before the train can pull away. I'd gladly do it myself but owing to a ridiculous health and safety directive, I can't. Now, in the past I used to be a real "close the door behind you" zealot. Whenever I saw anybody get on to my train without closing the door behind them I had a mantra I would say right to their face - "Save Our time, Save Your time! CLOSE THE DOOR BEHIND YOU!". Yes, how times have changed.

Comment

I got a nice slam door train to work today. It also has slide down windows which you can put your head out of. Cheers me up no end.

Comment

Indeed. 5 carriages on a Friday when there are less people.
                    fewer (unless the friday passengers are more likely to be amputees)

although in fairness, this one is a lost cause. I often say "less" myself when it should be "fewer".
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Did I tell any of you about the time I took a train from Alice springs to Sydney?

That was nice, especially when I stood stark bollock naked in front of the window whilst waking and we were slowing rolling through a commuter station as we were pulling into sydney.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X