• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Train Journey This Morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well here's a turn up for the books. As we pulled in to Swindon this morning, there on Platform 5, was a blast from the past. A class 50 done out in 80s style BR blue and yellow livery. This was 50013 - "Thor" and it turned out to be a bit of a reunion because I had actually cabbed this loco back in the 80s. Regular readers of this thread will know that "cabbed" means that I have physically been inside the cab of the loco and this fact had been recorded in my Ian Allen combined volume of British Diesel locomotives and Multiple Units with a "C" next to the loco's number. I always carry it with my, wherever I go. You may also be intersted to know that this class of loco was known as a "hoover" to us enthusiasts; not entirely sure whether that was due to the corrugated flexible pipe on the front of the cab (bit like a hoover pipe) or due to the sound it made. Must Google that one some time.

Comment

I aslo forgot to mention that after I saw Bruce Hockin on last week's commute, I saw that Mickayla whatserchops who does those wildlife programmes. Tell you something about her, she is very very short LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        You may also be intersted to know that this class of loco was known as a "hoover" to us enthusiasts
        Oddly enough................No!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Mods - Any chance of making this a sticky?

WOW 4000 views and counting !

Comment

Any chance of making this a sticky?
            Keep going and your keyboard will be...
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

This thread's like a car crash. I know I don't want to look, I know it's horrible inside but I just can't help myself. Aaaagh

Can't you lock it or delete it instead?

Comment

WOW 4000 views and counting !
                Zeity has lots of fans..............

Comment

Well here's a turn up for the books. As we pulled in to Swindon this morning, there on Platform 5, was a blast from the past. A class 50 done out in 80s style BR blue and yellow livery. This was 50013 - "Thor" and it turned out to be a bit of a reunion because I had actually cabbed this loco back in the 80s. Regular readers of this thread will know that "cabbed" means that I have physically been inside the cab of the loco and this fact had been recorded in my Ian Allen combined volume of British Diesel locomotives and Multiple Units with a "C" next to the loco's number. I always carry it with my, wherever I go. You may also be intersted to know that this class of loco was known as a "hoover" to us enthusiasts; not entirely sure whether that was due to the corrugated flexible pipe on the front of the cab (bit like a hoover pipe) or due to the sound it made. Must Google that one some time.
                  Hmmm... Deltic engines -a fine piece of English engineering
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Indeed.

An example of how of fit a truly unreasonable number of pistons & crankshafts into the smallest space possible.
                    Twin Napier engines - 18 cylinders apiece!

Comment

Reasons why I quit the PA

Not much activity on the rail network this morning and a fairly uneventful journey so I thought I'd give you my thoughts on the PA, my time with them and why I quit.

The revelations in the DM are old news now but at the time of their publication I decided to stick with PA because I thought it was the group that served as the best outlet for my bashing activities. Plus the fact I also like Peaks. Not wishing to re-open old wounds but the original article can be seen here:

Link

Now, I'm a seasoned basher and the activities alluded to in that article are pretty much the par for the course;

Flailing and shouting "My Lordz" while hanging out of carriage windows

Removing carriage fittings to take home as souvenirs

Urinating out of the window over bystanders while passing through stations.

I'm sure we've all been there and done it but where I had to draw the line and the reason I resigned was due to the creeping neo nazism and racism in PA. I'd heard the rumours and was disturbed by them but I always vowed to stick with the PA as I was never in any doubt that it was n fine, upstanding organisation. Regretably, as we all now know, that is not the case and several examples of how PA has been infiltrated by extremists have been published; one of them is here:

Link

I can only hope that other PA members will follow my lead and perhaps if enough do we can go about setting up a splinter group pretty much in the vein of the PA but without the extremism.

Comment

Working...
                      X