• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you mix politics and religion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
    sectarianism is the cause of many bloody wars, yugoslavia, northern ireland etc

church and state should be separate, i think we are mostly lucky, queenie doesn't do much despite being head of the anglicans, and let's face it they are just atheists in skirts
    Queen isn't head of all Anglicans living in the UK.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
      ....church and state should be separate
      So you think the best way to keep religion out of politics is to adopt the American approach?

There are Christians who have an emphasis on social justice - feeding the poor etc. These are more likely to be left wing, but not always. There are Christians who have an emphasis on morality - family life etc. These are more likely to be conservatives, but not always. There are Christian roots in the Trade Union movement - their meetings are still called chapels. The Christianity from which that arose was the non-conformist, i.e. the non-anglicans, who often completely agree that chuch and state should be seperate - as in the US. Though originally, the separation was to protect the believers from the state - not the other way round.

While there are neo-con christians, and they're quite vocal, it seems fairly certain to me that they are by no means representative of most Christians. Consider those who support having gay clergy. Are they rabid right wingers?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
      X