• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever seen an email storm?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    One customers mail server was so badly configured that it shat itself when the mail arrived as it couldnt handle the size of the to: field. It started forwarding on the original mail to all the original recipients, including itself, with our name in the senders field. Every time it got the mail from itself it did the same thing.
    I especially like misconfigured mail servers.

Liked, that is.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      I thought the funniest part was the second mail, with an apology about the earlier mail saying “we fixed it” sent 15000 to each person.
      Oh I love those "we fixed it" emails

Back when Usenet was popular someone with a misconfigured server was blatting out "Unsuitable content" replies to everyone who posted on a busy newsgroup.

Two can play that game, and didn't take long before the offending party did something about it

(Nothing like the volumes you are talking about, but irritating enough that retribution was swift in the face of complaints being ignored)
      Last edited by Sysman; 7 May 2010, 16:57.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I thought people were wise to them these days, but the guy at the next desk to me was stuck in one during the week.

one guy replied with 6 seperate one word emails :

PLEASE
        DO
        NOT
        TO
        ALL

morons!

Comment

Working...
        X