• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speaker question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lje View Post
    Um - I feel I should point out that the speaker is actually a Tory. So if he is not elected it won't really reflect on Labour.
    Electing the speaker is supposed to be completely non-partisan. That all went out the window in 1997 when Labour wanted to stamp their authority by putting a working class old-Labour man into the post.

Now you would have thought they would have learned their lesson when it came to electing his replacement...

So what did they do - elect a Tory enbroiled in the expenses scandal into the post, mostly due to the fact that the tories themselves couldn't stand him.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      The Speaker is elected by the House.
      You are right - the Speaker is elected by the House. However, the current speaker may or may not be elected back to the House of Commons today - as decided by the people in his constituency.
      Loopy Loo

Comment

You are right - the Speaker is elected by the House. However, the current speaker may or may not be elected back to the House of Commons today - as decided by the people in his constituency.
        Any idea what the current odds are?
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          Any idea what the current odds are?
          Given that the only choice the poor people have in that area is between a Tory Speaker, a UKIP guy who has unfortunate accidents in planes and some other odd balls I expect that the Tory will get voted back.

I actually think that its unacceptable for the other parties not to stand candidates there - what choice do the locals have? Another example of our undemocratic system.
          Loopy Loo

Comment

Given that the only choice the poor people have in that area is between a Tory Speaker, a UKIP guy who has unfortunate accidents in planes and some other odd balls I expect that the Tory will get voted back.

I actually think that its unacceptable for the other parties not to stand candidates there - what choice do the locals have? Another example of our undemocratic system.
            As it happens the Speaker's constituency here is as blue as you can get.

There were about 10 other candidates, mostly independents, and I was glad to see the Monster Raving Loonies represented!

The Speaker turned up unannounced to vote for himself at the same time as me, so after exchanging pleasantries I couldn't bring myself to vote against him for the crack. Besides, he's been a good constituency MP for our neck of the woods.

Oh, and thanks for the answers, especially Gonzo, who reminded us he only performs a casting vote.

Comment

Although he only votes in the event of a tie (and will vote with the government in that scenario), he has a considerable amount of power in how he disciplines the members of the house and what motions etc. are allowed to be tabled.

Bercow was never a "real" Tory (whatever that means) - Cameron wanted George Young to get the job as he would be more friendly towards his former party than Bercow would be. Michael Martin was more friendly to certain members of the Labour party than to others (either within the party or outside it).
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

I remember in 1978/79 the Speaker voted with the Callaghan labour govt - when they had a wafer thin majority just before Thatcher swept all before her.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  By convention the other parties do not field candidates against the speaker. It is just in this election the UKIP bloke is opportunistically standing against him along with a few other cranks.
                  Isn't that a bit crap for the poor constituents who don't get a normal selection of parties to vote for?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                    Bercow was never a "real" Tory (whatever that means)
                    Much was made in the media a while back that his wife is a Labourite (and also taller than him).

It is one of the more stupid parts of our stupid system that the people of Buckingham effectively don't get to vote. Why does the speaker have to be an elected MP anyway?
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Isn't that a bit crap for the poor constituents who don't get a normal selection of parties to vote for?
                      Intuitively it seems crap, but it actually does not matter because the Speaker does not vote in the House of Commons.

This is actually a better deal than for those people who live in an area that always returns a candidate that they don't vote for.

But it is one of the less satisfactory results of having the Executive consisting of people elected to the Legislature which I could go on about at length but which would not interest anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                      X