• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sounds like Greece might be heading towards revolution...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I think one of the problems with Greece is a large part of tourism and other sectors operates in the Black economy. Current mesures will effect the people who pay taxes, mesures to bring the Black economy into the tax paying loop having little effect.

BBC News - No tax please, we're Greek

http://www.asecu.gr/Seeje/issue06/katsios.pdf

"the range of the Greek Underground Economy at from 20% to 25% of GDP"
    It's no coincidence that Spain finds itself in a similar predicament, they too have a large black market economy and rely heavily on tourism.

Since my dad retired he's been painting villas and cleaning pools for years, never paid a penny in tax even though he enquired how he should go about it. My step brother is the same, not sure what he's doing now but he spent much of the last 10 years on building sites in Spain, again he's never paid a penny.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I looked through the report, but I was surprised by it's recommendations. They are linking the Black Economy with corruption.

"The best policy to reduce corruption could be a sharp reduction of the effective
      control that government has over the Greek economy in a lot of aspects like spending
      and taxing activities and, especially, in economic regulations. Furthermore, owing
      to the fact that one of the factors that create the environment that promotes corruption
      is social intimacy, an effective policy in reducing corruption is that of forced
      and periodic geographical mobility for civil servants, in order to remove them from
      the region where they have their closest social or family relations and to prevent the
      formation of new relations."
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        I looked through the report, but I was surprised by it's recommendations. They are linking the Black Economy with corruption.

"The best policy to reduce corruption could be a sharp reduction of the effective
        control that government has over the Greek economy in a lot of aspects like spending
        and taxing activities and, especially, in economic regulations. Furthermore, owing
        to the fact that one of the factors that create the environment that promotes corruption
        is social intimacy, an effective policy in reducing corruption is that of forced
        and periodic geographical mobility for civil servants, in order to remove them from
        the region where they have their closest social or family relations and to prevent the
        formation of new relations
        ."
        A similar MO was used in policing during the eighties here in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          A similar MO was used in policing during the eighties here in the UK.
          And it didn't work.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Plenty of people choose to vote Liebor - I don't know what they expect
            Plenty of people don't. I'm not sure what they expect, but I know what they'll get - the same old piss in a different shaped bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Get down to the costa's and spend spend spend.
              You think Coffee is going to help!!!

Comment

Working...
              X