• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hung parliament question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If I could choose I'd rather have a look at 1939-45...
    Yeah well a war was on then, politicians can then be pragmatists to get the job done.
    Last edited by Green Mango; 1 May 2010, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
      If Conservatives - Liberals try a coalition the difference in policey is liable to provide
      a coalition that finds it difficult to agree policey.
      None of them have real policies worth talking about - they need to agree on one massive public sector cuts policy: Cons know it, and Lib Dems know it - Labour would never allow serous public cutting to happen because it would be cutting off their votes.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        None of them have real policies worth talking about - they need to agree on one massive public sector cuts policy: Cons know it, and Lib Dems know it - Labour would never allow serous public cutting to happen because it would be cutting off their votes.
        Liberals policey is to raise TAXes on business and the rich and to have the smallest
        public sector cuts. This is quite close to Labour's position.

Conservatives have the opposite policey with the largest cuts in the public sector,
        but the lowest TAXes on businesses.

Comment

Of course any parties can band together to form a coalition. It doesn't matter who get the most seats.
          I'm not sure one of us understands the other.

My question is how the government is decided if hung. If Labour get most seats, is it up to them to find a partner, or could they win most seats and still not get into power if Dave & Nick combined forces? In other words, does the government have to include the part winning the most seats?

Also, what if we get a tie? One of the recent polls makes the BBC thing predict this and it's obviously possible, albeit unlikely.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Conservatives have the opposite policey with the largest cuts in the public sector,
            but the lowest TAXes on businesses.
            Yeah Cons promised to abolish 1% NI - that's effing massive!

The reason I won't vote Cons is exactly that - they've failed to give proper plan to cut MASSIVELY public waste as it should be and consequently reduce business and personal taxes. Second reason is that I have no confidence they'll deal with banks in the City properly - frankly I am certain if Cons were in power instead of Labour then we'd have the same result (without 50% income tax maybe).

Vince Cable on the other hand was warning about debt problem for a long time - I'd certainly have far more confidence for him to be chancellor than anyone else, which is why I'll vote for Lib Dems - even if they don't get MPs every extra vote they get will help them negotiate for coalition Govt, as long as it's not with Liebor it's fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              My question is how the government is decided if hung.
              It's decided by negotiation with parties involved - horse trading, future favours etc etc etc: there is no written law to cover this eventuality because it so rarely happens in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I'm not sure one of us understands the other.

My question is how the government is decided if hung. If Labour get most seats, is it up to them to find a partner, or could they win most seats and still not get into power if Dave & Nick combined forces? In other words, does the government have to include the part winning the most seats?

Also, what if we get a tie? One of the recent polls makes the BBC thing predict this and it's obviously possible, albeit unlikely.

In the 70's the Conservatives under Ted Heath won the the most seats. They tried to cut a deal with
                the Liberals under Jeremy Thorpe, but they couldn't.

Labour and the Liberals then got together and formed a coalition government. It didn't get on very well and split up after a couple of years of
                acrimonious infighting. Welcome back to the 70's.

Comment

If the Conservatives win the popular vote, how much support would a Lib-Lab coallation have? After all, the LibDems make a big issue on reforming the voting system to a more honest and fair one. Forming a goverment not including the winning party is hardly that.

I think they'd lose all credibility and support of the public if that happened.

The conservatives don't necessarily need a majority. If they're a few seats short, I imagine they'll just go ahead and run a minority goverment without worrying too much about a coallition.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Welcome back to the 70's.
                    I think you may find that 70s were great - manufacturing wasn't fully destroyed back then and bankers did not get their hands on computers to enable complex derivative of a pure bulltulip.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      If the Conservatives win the popular vote, how much support would a Lib-Lab coallation have? After all, the LibDems make a big issue on reforming the voting system to a more honest and fair one. Forming a goverment not including the winning party is hardly that.

I think they'd lose all credibility and support of the public if that happened.

The conservatives don't necessarily need a majority. If they're a few seats short, I imagine they'll just go ahead and run a minority goverment without worrying too much about a coallition.
                      Thats another option a minority government and we've had that experience before.

Well it wouldn't be practical as the Tories are likely to be easily outnumbered by the Labour and Liberal mps.

Labour are only around 5% behind the Conservatives, so LAbour will probably have the have the most MPs anyway
                      especially as may LAbour/Liberal voters are intending to tactical vote for each other.

Comment

Working...
                      X