• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being marginalised on a contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If she's not the 'sit back and take the money' type I'm not sure the collective here are likely to be able to help...

Seriously though the options are fairly obvious and if your friend has been contracting for 10 yrs I'm sure she's aware of them. Personally I'd sit back, take the daily rate and keep an eye on the market just in case.
    Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Most of last year I was running a non-IT team of 50+ staff across 2 sites covering maternity leave for 2 permies with P+L and budget responsibility. This year I am escalating user issues with an outsourced service provider (complaints dept really), last week I helped a team install some new printer drivers...Point is, it goes with the job, if you are a contractor you have to adapt, be flexible, do what is required while being the perfect employee - Reliable (no days off because your cat is ill), professional (don't slag the place or people - too much). I EXPECT to find myself in bad situations because this has happened before, when in most cases all is fine, it is a bonus. In the role you describe, I would still be finding my place, keeping my head down, making sure I was seen as keen and helpful and friendly BUT I would expect to be given the workload by others, especially at the start and I wouldn't care who did that or if they were having cosy chats. They pay me a premium not to care. I do have certain lines I won't be pushed over but nothing your friend describes. They might not like her and she might be first out when the time comes BUT complaining up the chain will probably guarantee that and the manager WON'T thank her for bringing it up, they get enough grief from permies, any contractor that kicks off isn't worth it.

Comment

Most permies will try to boss you around. Afterall they are just bitter employees with a 2% payrise once in five years and are aware that they are just as disposable as contractors are but at half the price. That's why they will have the need to feel important and so acting as they are important there by giving you tasks and orders. I don't think you can really avoid that, it's statistically guarantee that there is at least one frustated permie in your team. I am surprised your friend is in this situation just now. I would just ask to get everything documented so that if something goes wrong the culprit is the non-manager acting as a manager.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I deliberately didnt mention this. No, she's white but the other 3 are black. Are you suggesting there could be some sort of discrimination going on?
          Funnily enough, my first thought was of discrimination but of a different kind - I've worked with some real a-holes who thought the women in the office were only there to make tea.

If she is as good as she says re the apps under test, it's all going to come down to the quality of work that she does. Document the test scripts well, raise quality failures, and highlight potential areas of problems. Depending on how she percieves the internal relationships she might prefer to raise issues with the TM rather than STA in case the STAs use her work/recommendations as their own.

All is not lost, I've worked with a couple of completely hands-off TMs who also had a very good perception of what was really going on in the team dynamics. She needs to stay professional throughout though.

Comment

when you say black do you mean west indian / african or asian ?
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post
              Is it because she is black?
              Is it because she is female and the others are sexist?

Comment

Working...
              X