• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a mess this forum is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Most come from corporate sites and there will be IT contractors there and it has been noted, it's not up to individuals what browser they use.
    I see this sort of comment all the time and I don't get it. I've worked on corporate sites all my life - dozens of them - and I've never had a problem installing my own preferred browser.

They may have an official browser for all their own intranet pages and applications - which is understandable as those apps may have been developed years ago and still be in daily use and might break on newer browsers (ironically). But no one's ever challenged me about installing Firefox or Chrome or whatever alongside the inevitable IE6 or IE7.

Even when my machine has required admin access to install something, I've just phoned the help desk and been granted access straight away.

What kind of corporations impose such restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      What kind of corporations impose such restrictions?
      Corps, IMHO, with paranoid-because-they're-not-entirely-competent IT Security departments... and the resulting hashed implementation of said paranoid policies.

For example, locking down the USB ports, but leaving the SD card reader wide open. Or, preventing 'cmd', but forgetting to prohibit 'command', and many other oddities.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Aren't you going to all start swearing properly?
        Are we allowed to, you ****wit?
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          Are we allowed to, you ****wit?
          No, then.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

No, then.
            LOL thats ******* funny.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

******* ******* ***** !

Milan.

Comment

Two days using it now and have to say I'm still struggling to come to terms with the new site.

There just seems to be too much stuff visually on each page now, a bit like when people complain about too many road signs in our streets.

Comment

Шит

That worked.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    ******* ******* ***** !

Milan.
                    Yeah, same to you, you ******* <bad word> pricktulip. I wish this would come out without the asterisks

Interesting - the bad c word did, with a y on the end. Ha!
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Yeah, same to you, you ******* <bad word> pricktulip. I wish this would come out without the asterisks

Interesting - the bad c word did, with a y on the end. Ha!
                      You mean caloriesy???
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X