• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving to a 4 day week ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 4 month-er doing a 4 day week last year, echoing what's already been said, it was great - worth the money drop
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      Ah, the 4 day week.

I did 6 months on 4-dayers. Didn't get paid for the missing day but the sheer loveliness of the short week more than made up for it. Would certainly do it again.
      Most people would, certainly among those who have done it. So why is it rare? And why is it something to wangle for?

Has anybody tried specifying it in their contract?

Comment

Just finished doing a month of 3 days a week for current clientco whilst waiting for funding approvals for projects, was great but 3 days a week does cut into the monthly invoice a bit... 4 sounds like a good deal particularly with a rate increase so

Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I can just get by (i.e. live very comfortably) on a 3 day week. But 4 is better. I tend to spend the spare days skiing during winter and plan B the rest of the time.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Most people would, certainly among those who have done it. So why is it rare?
            From the worker's side - want to get as many $$$ as possible when in contract.

From the client's side - fixed costs of having someone on site (doesn't scale linearly with time worked).

I'd probably work a four day week at four fifths of a decent rate if I had the opportunity.

Comment

Let's say someone is on £200 a day. If their on site 5 days, that's £1000. 4 days it's £800. Unless it costs £200 per day fixed costs, I don't understand your reasoning. Most of the cost of an external is their billing fees.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I can just get by (i.e. live very comfortably) on a 3 day week. But 4 is better. I tend to spend the spare days skiing during winter and plan B the rest of the time.
                I did try for 3, but they wouldn't go for it! Happy that eveyone who's done the 4 dayer, seems to be positive about it.

J

Comment

Working...
                X