• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just how much financial tulip is Greece in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What makes you think atheism is about ‘I’m alright jack’?

Do you regularly talk with atheists? Are they noticeably more cruel or less socially concerned than believers?

As for the good samaritan, it fits perfectly in a world view of seeing other humans as equals instead of holding a prejudice according to their ethnicity or religion.
    Glad to see you're not "Godlike", like.

Oh bugger. I don't believe in me.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      I think I'm trying to say that the less intelligent members of the community need the rules and examples provided from a formal religion to know how they should behave in society. Atheism is just too complex a set of ideas for all but the most intelligent. You can't just have a set of laws and expect people to follow them, we're not all capable of being lawyers to judge when something is lawful.

After all, rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

There is nothing complicated about what is good and what is bad, what is right and what is wrong, even a child can understand this.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        There is nothing complicated about what is good and what is bad, what is right and what is wrong, even a child can understand this.
        Hmm, one famous Saint said 'Children are like Angels'. A parent remarked that he was obviously a monk.

Right and wrong are constructs that we achieve from a moral education.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Hmm, one famous Saint said 'Children are like Angels'. A parent remarked that he was obviously a monk.

Right and wrong are constructs that we achieve from a moral education.
          Wasn't that Gregory with "Non Angli sed angeli"? And the monk bit sounds distinctly 20th-century.

BTW it is self-contradictory to use a claim that "right and wrong are constructs that we achieve from a moral education" to support a religion (like Roman Catholicism) that does not ostensibly believe that. Though it is equally self-contradictory for the Church then to teach.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Wasn't that Gregory with "Non Angli sed angeli"? And the monk bit sounds distinctly 20th-century.

BTW it is self-contradictory to use a claim that "right and wrong are constructs that we achieve from a moral education" to support a religion (like Roman Catholicism) that does not ostensibly believe that. Though it is equally self-contradictory for the Church then to teach.
            I think what I'm saying is they're achieving the 'right' result, yes, possibly by the 'wrong' methods. It is not necessary for the basis of a moral system to be correct just that they produce a system that is stable and capable of continuing.

Snake / death cults don't last long, even though they seem to come and go every few generations. So I would say those kinds of religions don't produce a useful moral system, and I worry that modern secularism is leading towards similar outcomes.

Comment

I think what I'm saying is they're achieving the 'right' result, yes, possibly by the 'wrong' methods. It is not necessary for the basis of a moral system to be correct just that they produce a system that is stable and capable of continuing.

Snake / death cults don't last long, even though they seem to come and go every few generations. So I would say those kinds of religions don't produce a useful moral system, and I worry that modern secularism is leading towards similar outcomes.
              Don't worry, within a generation or two Europe will be highly religious.

Comment

What makes you think 'modern secularism' is leading toward death cults?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

What makes you think 'modern secularism' is leading toward death cults?
                  Because they lack a moral basis, and people who are not part of the elite cannot see any point in their existence.

Comment

Because they lack a moral basis, and people who are not part of the elite cannot see any point in their existence.
                    You mean you think that if less intelligent people are atheists they'll top themselves?
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You mean you think that if less intelligent people are atheists they'll top themselves?
                      Without some moral basis that comes from an established religion, yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X