• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Milton Keynes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>Don't be put off by their position at the foot of the third division.

Indeed, this time next year they'll be at the foot of the fourth division (sic).
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

MK is one of the 'newer' New Towns and I believe is still growing. As for the concrete I think most developments in MK are low key, low rise and small scale and definetly not brutalist (e.g. South Bank in Southwark).

With good communications via the M1 and the West Coast Main Line it's well connected and near the centre of England.

A look at a map will show the city laid out in a grid pattern similar to North American cities - making its geography more suitable for the motor car; although it has an extensive network of purpose built cycleways.

I'd say a reasonably good place to raise a family.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
        say near Leighton-Buzzard and get into London for a night out.
        If you can afford it.... not the night out in London, the train fare.

Comment

I've moved to Luton and I loathe the place. No proper bookshop, no proper record shop, no ice rink. At least MK has those. And the road network in MK is very good. But from MK to London on the train costs the best part of £20. The countryside is awful. And it takes ages to get anywhere nice e.g. Norfolk coast, Yorkshire Dales etc. The M4 corridor is much much better. Loads of jobs and easy access to central London, Barnes wetland centre, Bristol and South Wales, New Forest, Windsor Park and so on.

Fungus

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            Oh, and it is home to the MK Dons, currently at the national hockey stadium but soon to have their own new stadium. Don't be put off by their position at the foot of the third division.
            Franchise FC? No thanks. Probably one of the most hated teams in British football.

And after this Saturday, watch them drop even further away from the rest of League 1.
            Discuss PDA/Smartphones
            Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

Originally posted by dazza12
              Probably one of the most hated teams in British football.
              That is their attraction, isn't it? They never had any money, had few fans, no ground, and yet they survived in the premiership for many years.

Franchise FC? Plough Lane wasn't big enough so Sam Hamman sold it, but he ran off with the money. They were losing money at Selhurst. From what I've been told, they made more than 20 applications for their own ground around Wimbledon and Merton, without success.

Then the Norwegians employed that idiot in wellington boots, and down they went. Many of the few fans they had deserted them. So I don't blame them for saying "OK, b*ll*cks to it" and going elsewhere to someone who'd have them.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
                They never had any money, had few fans, no ground, and yet they survived in the premiership for many years.
                Are you confusing the "MK Nots" with the real AFC Wimbledon team. I feel the later is the real remains of the once infamous Premiership team!!
                The supporters voted for once with their feet and their cash

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                  Are you confusing the "MK Nots" with the real AFC Wimbledon team. I feel the later is the real remains of the once infamous Premiership team!!
                  The supporters voted for once with their feet and their cash
                  Hmm. Pity they didn't do it a bit earlier, then the club wouldn't have moved. Wimbledon crowds were always laughably low.

AFC Wimbledon are a fine club, but let's see what they do when THEY discover their ground isn't suitable for top league football. They have a long way to go yet though.

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole
                    Hmm. Pity they didn't do it a bit earlier, then the club wouldn't have moved. Wimbledon crowds were always laughably low.

AFC Wimbledon are a fine club, but let's see what they do when THEY discover their ground isn't suitable for top league football. They have a long way to go yet though.

Of course they have a long way to go...As they had to start from the bottom...But it's real "Roy of the Rovers" stuff don't you think. I hope I live to see the day that AFC Wimbledon play the MK Dons........The supporters would love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                      Of course they have a long way to go...As they had to start from the bottom...But it's real "Roy of the Rovers" stuff don't you think. I hope I live to see the day that AFC Wimbledon play the MK Dons........The supporters would love it!
                      Should be in a couple of seasons.

MK Dons, along with Bristol City or Swindon will be in League two next season, and no doubt in the conference the year after.
                      Discuss PDA/Smartphones
                      Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

Working...
                      X