• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract - new set-up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio
    What is not clear is why the Revenue think that composites - which are clearly there merely to avoid paying tax - are apparently exempted from IR35 investigation whereas proper one man businesses are being chased merely for following the rules for limited companies. Go figure.
    Indeed! I guess many of the bigger brollies that have IR35 "solutions" also carry a fair amount of anti IR35 measures e.g. contracts, legal reviews, insurance etc. Makes it difficult for Hector to attack when you also consider the volume of the individual composite companies. Would need a class case and when you consider the HMCR track record.....

Comment

Originally posted by freshblue
      Indeed! I guess many of the bigger brollies that have IR35 "solutions" also carry a fair amount of anti IR35 measures e.g. contracts, legal reviews, insurance etc. Makes it difficult for Hector to attack when you also consider the volume of the individual composite companies. Would need a class case and when you consider the HMCR track record.....
      Surely it makes it easier?!
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Yeah, you have to wonder at the logic. 1100-odd PCG members for two years each to get three wins (two of which were largely self-inflicted, BTW) against a rule change to tax composites paying dividends at the same rate as employees.

Still, keep it quiet, they may not have thought of it.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
          (two of which were largely self-inflicted, BTW)
          Can you shed any more light as to which companies have lost IR35 reviews and why they were self-inflicted? I've been searching the PCG formus but not having much luck.

Comment

Try posting the question in the PCG forum. They will be far more likely to help you identify who the two cases that were not successful are (assuming those two are happy to be identified).

Comment

Originally posted by paulb567
              Can you shed any more light as to which companies have lost IR35 reviews and why they were self-inflicted? I've been searching the PCG formus but not having much luck.
              Of the famous ones...Things like submiting their contracts to the IR for IR35 status review (NEVER EVER DO THIS!). One defended himself in court and one another didn't have a written contract. Vaguely remember one being an ex employee of the company he contracted at (fri permie, monday contractor) and another being on site for several years (although many won cases have been). I know this is vague but I can't be arsed to search.
              Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 January 2006, 14:50.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                Of the famous ones...Things like submiting their contracts to the IR for IR35 status review (NEVER EVER DO THIS!).
                I just had a brainwave - What's to stop a contractor submitting a blatently IR35 _proof_ but fictitious contract to the IR for review, and do the same regularly every few months?!

You're not obliged to take up the work. So provided you don't fib and tell the IR you've actually worked under the terms of these contracts you'd be in the clear; but possibly, after seeing a few such contracts, some Hector clerk might click on a "don't bother IR35-reviewing this guy - they seem to always find IR35-proof contracts" box on your file
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 10 January 2006, 20:01.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                X