• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Great Business Idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    +1 for it being a fast track to threats of writs for libel
    The web's full of review sites for products, couldn't manufacturers complain in the same way if everyone writes 'this TV is crap'?

Run the site through an off-shore company if needs be. Highlight (and exercise) a policy of moderating excessive reviews. Give agents a chance to respond to reviews. Etc. But, it's the individuals I'd say would need tracking, not the companies.

I had an idea for something along these lines but it was much more profit oriented, a tool which helps contractors (and agents) but is intended as a business. Maybe one day when I have a web-dev going spare...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

There used to a great site like that over here but it too seems to have disappeared however Gulp do in fact have a 'whitelist' which gives you an indication of which agencies are good (a numerical rating) so you can probably take that agencies not mentioned are no good. There is a very long questionnaire you have to fill in and you can also make comments about the 'black sheep.' All in all a very detailed analysis of which agencies are any good.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

A much better idea would be to set up a site where you rate ex-lovers. You could set up your account, and then list your conquests, associating their nicknames with their email accounts!!!!

Oh hang on a second. I'm suggesting this on an IT Contracting website, which has 20,000 members with an IT bias.

WTF am I thinking!

FAIL
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          A much better idea would be to set up a site where you rate ex-lovers. You could set up your account, and then list your conquests, associating their nicknames with their email accounts!!!!

Oh hang on a second. I'm suggesting this on an IT Contracting website, which has 20,000 members with an IT bias.

WTF am I thinking!

FAIL
          Two of my (dubious) male friends did this.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

One of the reasons it wouldn't work is that on every forum or review site where companies are slagged off they either log on at Head Office with different names or get the managers in the branches you are complaining about to write comments about how wonderful they are.

If they can't generate enough comments they then sue the site for libel..........

Until the UK libel laws change a site like that isn't viable.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Two of my (dubious) male friends did this.
              and what was your rating Mary? 10 out of 10, or needs to try harder?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                what if it is moderated or you try and keep it scientific e.g. numeric ratings rather than actual comments?
                If it's moderated, and you include comments, then you are potentially opening yourself up to even more problems - you knew there was a chance that it could be libellous, but didn't do enough to stop it => legal problems.

Numeric ratings are meaningless - one particularly bad rating from one person might skew things. Plus, I would want to know exactly WHY people were giving a bad rating, rather than just their scores.
                If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Tell me about it!
                  I know this one knob of an agent, who we'll call "james". Different girl every week, although they do seem to see sense and dissappear.
                  He's always "going abroad" but can never say what for cause it "secret like".
                  Last time I saw him I was at a mates barbeque... the tosser turned up in a ******* tuxedo!
                  So, which one are you - Mitchell or Webb?
                  If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                    So, which one are you - Mitchell or Webb?
                    Ah! Someone with taste
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

The biggest issue I see with this is that pimp's and clientco's interests and ours aren't always the same.

If clientco has an agreement with pimpco, then bad reviews won't make any difference - if you want the gig there, you have to work via badpimp.

Comment

Working...
                      X