• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway Horror Stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    FTFY. You're getting confused with stories from using your time machine.
    When I was a lot younger I was driving back up from Dover in a newish top-of-the-line motor, and I picked up a couple of hitch-hikers. Before long I had them convinced it was a stolen car. They were bricking themselves. I let them out at Chesterfield.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      When I was a lot younger I was driving both of my BMWs simultaneously, and I picked up a couple of hitch-hikers. Before long I had them convinced I was James Bond and then shagged the pair of 'em in my chippy.
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by various
        ...fast lane...
        Where's that then?
        Permietractor (probably)

Comment

In the recent snow only one lane was clear in the M1 North of Sheffield, this Range Rover was racing up behind me and pulled out into the snow to overtake, I was doing about 50 in the clear lane, Rover must have been 90 behind me.

As soon as he hit the snow huge plumes of said white sludge sprayed out from the front of the Rover on both sides and the sheer mass of snow slowed the lump down to about 30 in a few hundred meters...

He must have shat himself cos he tucked in behind and came off next exit.

Another time I was driving the company Talbot Horizon (yeah, i know) up the M6 towards Lymm, bazzing along quite nicely, and, this is were I sometimes feel someone is watching over me, just decided to slow down for a bit. Then, all the red lights lit up ahead, hazards on, everyone boxed up together and stopped. Slowly we filtered past, a truck had crossed the carriageway, hit a Volvo 360 head on, the woman, dead instantly, was propelled into the back seat, her leg dangling out of the opened rear nearside door, covered in blood. Horrible. Only saw the leg but that was enough...

Some years after I was flying down the M6 for a football match and again, just decided to slow down. Ice warnings came up, then accident ahead, then stop. Eventually filtered past, it was carnage, cars everywhere, police and ambulances, and two bodies on the hard shoulder covered up....

Comment

I have never seen an accident happen directly in front of me, but I have seen half a dozen or so in my rear view mirror.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              Not unusual.
              Do you suffer from Tom Jones Syndrome?

I don't think you need to do anything at all to provoke some of the psychos out there.
              Alas, that is true. You come up against people on the road that you would never normally have any contact with, or even understanding of.

The only place that most of us will meet even more psychos than on the road is on the internet. With a bit of care the danger there can be minimised; on the road it may not be so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                Do you suffer from Tom Jones Syndrome?

Alas, that is true. You come up against people on the road that you would never normally have any contact with, or even understanding of.

The only place that most of us will meet even more psychos than on the road is on the internet. With a bit of care the danger there can be minimised; on the road it may not be so easy.
                Nutters on the internet. What a ridiculous premise! I for one have never done anything remotely psychotic on the t'internet!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  A few years ago we were driving home from Dublin and a family were having a picnic in the central reservation just outside our town, grant it, the motorway was new so they might not have quite understood
                  they're called gypsies....that's where they live.

Comment

A few years ago I was travelling on the M27 and in front of me a Range Rover was towing an improbably large boat on a trailer, anyway on the downhill bit his brakes on the trailer weren't up to the job and i saw the boat slowly overtake the car, they both ended up in the ditch/hard shoulder, but the traffic was all slow enough no-one was hurt.

A friend of mine had a Citroen Bx, minding his own business in the fast lane when suddenly a pallet flew off a truck in the middle lane and ended up in front of him, he passed over it, just missing the wheels, but the pallet didn't miss his brake lines, so immediately no power steering, no suspension travel and no brakes... he said he was shaking for quite a while after that.

I saw a car jump some red lights at a t-junction, a lorry was coming through the green, slammed on his brakes, and had time to lean out the cab door while braking, so the loose pipes in the back slid gracefully past him and out the window of his cab... that was HIS lucky day.

Another time I was on the A3 and a caravan lost the lockable cover for the gas bottle, it went over the car in front of me, under mine, then over the car behind me, I got off quite lightly as the other two cars needed a re-spray.

Comment

I had a mate who was coming up a hill on a dual carriageway when from the corner of his eye he saw a detached caravan heading towards him from the other side.
                      He went right through the middle of it. No one was hurt, but when the police arrived, the officer remarked 'Joined the caravan club have we sir?"

Comment

Working...
                      X