• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The view from America

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Very good point. Unlike most on here I make sure I read all political viewpoints as none has a monopoly on the truth. (In this respect Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay " The conservatives" is a good read even though it was written AFAIK in the 19th century. it shows plus ca change.).

The Times is now basically a Murdoch mouthpiece.
    Funnily enough I almost mentioned that last point. IMHO an intelligent Telegraph reader can read the Guardian with disagreement but with respect, and vice versa. But I doubt that the same standard of rationalism can still be applied to the once mighty Times. The owner's politics are now so clearly more important than the newspaper's journalism that it has surely forfeited the title of newspaper of record.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      You seem to be more focused on the appraisal of abstract viewpoints of the event rather than the event itself, shooting the messenger as I would see it.

But what do you expect from the yanks, the chap who ordered the shooting of a whole village in Vietnam ( 500 women and children according to the yanks, the Vietnamese say 880 ) got 3 years house arrest and then was allowed to work in the trinket shop outside the army base.

I do not see it as surprise people are willing to strap bombs to themselves to get one back on them.
      So to sum up you think IRA and Al Qaeda atrocities are pretty much justifed?

Pretty much the worst thing I've read on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

I believe he said it was unsurprising, not that it was justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post

People just do as bad as is done to them, not justifying anything, people will just do that.

Someone is looking at that video right now and thinking "they shot up an ambulance, I am going to shoot up their ambulance"

Don't be so thick to think you have the moral high ground on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Bollocks, the IRA spent years trying to kill as many soldiers on one day as the army killed civilians in Derry on one day as revenge, eventually achieving their aim at Warrenpoint.

You have been taken in by our media as they have by theirs.
            I'm referring to today's professional British army in today's circumstances, not about a time in history you've a jaded viewpoint to troll about.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              Interesting comment from a better informed opinion.
              Very interesting. Good find. Have to say I agree with him.

Comment

The estimates are about over 1 000 000 deaths in iraq caused marginally by the war - these are caused by inaccessibility to food , inability to go to a hospital , inability to buy basic medicament.

Comment

Originally posted by gooddayall View Post
                  The estimates are about over 1 000 000 deaths in iraq caused marginally by the war - these are caused by inaccessibility to food , inability to go to a hospital , inability to buy basic medicament.
                  Any link for this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORB_sur...War_casualties
                  In 2007, ORB London, published estimates of the total war casualties in Iraq since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.[1] At over 1.2 million deaths (1,220,580), this estimate is the highest number published so far. From the poll margin of error of +/-2.5% ORB calculated a range of 733,158 to 1,446,063 deaths
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Any link for this?

In 2007, ORB London, published estimates of the total war casualties in Iraq since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.[1] At over 1.2 million deaths (1,220,580), this estimate is the highest number published so far. From the poll margin of error of +/-2.5% ORB calculated a range of 733,158 to 1,446,063 deaths
                    The civilian death toll does appear to have dwarfed military casualties.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Any link for this?

well there you have it here ! I remember reading the same somewhere on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                      X