• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which one to choose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I knew this site, it helped me to decide if Greenwich will be good enough for me.

In Computer Science their ranking (~57th) is far better than the overall ranking. Given that a year ago I am not sure I was able to speak English on intermediate level (now still just upper-intermediate, B2 :/ ) and that I left the secondary school 4 years ago without doing any IT related job since then I think this is the maximum I could have achieved. I just hope that it will be enough on the "market". On the other hand, I hope that my skills will be good enough to continue on a master`s course on an even better university after I finished my BSc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomas888 View Post
      I knew this site, it helped me to decide if Greenwich will be good enough for me.

In Computer Science their ranking (~57th) is far better than the overall ranking. Given that a year ago I am not sure I was able to speak English on intermediate level (now still just upper-intermediate, B2 :/ ) and that I left the secondary school 4 years ago without doing any IT related job since then I think this is the maximum I could have achieved. I just hope that it will be enough on the "market". On the other hand, I hope that my skills will be good enough to continue on a master`s course on an even better university after I finished my BSc.
      Just a tip - you are better off going to a better university which has links with industry and getting up to date experience, rather than doing a Masters afterwards as it will save you lots of money.

Also you won't be marked on your spoken English until the end of the course however your written English needs to be good at the beginning as this is harder to improve.

I studied and worked with people who had a good grasp of written English but spoken English was bad at the start. (OK some of them were doing international law courses.) They quickly improved their spoken English by hanging around with people whose mother tongue was English. So I recommend you start reading great works of English fiction and watching British comedies like Red Dwarf now. You don't have to spend any money as the books you can get from a library and the comedies are available on freeview.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Tomas888 View Post
        I left the secondary school 4 years ago without doing any IT related job since then.
        Just want to say that it doesn`t mean that I am new to computing, I studied IT and maths in the secondary school and I do like it. [I wouldn`t say that my knowledge is outdated. I keep up with the IT related news - both technological and business - use and learn Linux, experiment with other stuff and so on. (Maybe you`ll say that I`m a wannabe ) However, my maths-skills would need to be refreshed, that`s true.]

Comment

Working...
        X