• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oldest Book you own!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a collection of Easyriders from edition no.2 (1971) to about 35 and a load of original furry Freak Brother comics (and Wonder Warthog with Paranoid Punkpig.) Loads of punk fanzines (including Sniffin' Glue and 1st edition of The Face) from late 70's to early 80's. Does that count?

(I do actually have a 1st edition of The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima, a very popular classic!)
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I have some Boys Holiday annuals from the 1920s. Lots of Frank Richards stories and fascinating articles about how a motorcycle works and the leading sportsmen of the time...Wally Hammond and Jack Hobbs. Over 200 pages per annual stuffed full of good stuff - now they don't produce anything like that anymore!

Comment

Well my novel collection is now over the 1000 mark, the oldest would be either some of the Biggles or the Otwell Binns (a great great granddaddy) I can not check the ages as they are now packed.
        I have a few collectors editions of books ranging from Harry Potter to a steel bound Judge Dredd.

I also have a collection of MTG cards dating back to the Dark series

2000AD's from prog 100ish to date

And some of the original 40K space marines somewhere

Other collections would be board games / Mini games / card games

Me a Kelpotmaniac? hell yeah
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I used to collect comics as well. Got a suitcase of them in the roof.
          Well get em down. They can be worth a bob or two nowadays depending on what they are...

If you got Issue 1 of Batman thats worth sod all. Just mail it me
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Well get em down. They can be worth a bob or two nowadays depending on what they are...

If you got Issue 1 of Batman thats worth sod all. Just mail it me
            No worries, I'll wrap it in my Action Comics No 1 for safe keeping.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Lots of books, not many old ones.

My mum has a set of Enid Blyton 'Adventure of ...' stories signed (1st or 2nd editions).

I have a lot of old RPG stuff, like Traveller, etc.
              Beer
              is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I own a copy of the Bible. That's quite old, 2000 yrs at least I think.

Comment

I have a bible at home that was printed in 1750 or thereabouts, I think.
                  If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Don't get me wrong I read the books I have. I also have a collection of Dickens. But there's something real about 'old' books.
                    We have a set of Dickens that my great-grandfather had bound specially. There's also a two-part volume of "The Life and Times of Queen Victoria" which was published before she died.
                    If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

A couple of early edition arthur c clarks from the late 50's
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X