• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Arrivaderci Tony Mowbray!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I did wonder what/who the thread was about, after finding out it's about kissball then I don't give a damn.

WGAS
    For someone who repeatedly professes to hate football, you seem unusually interested in contributing to football threads voicing your disapproval of anyone else who might.

Actually you seem to disapprove of a lot of things, but that's by the by. Why not just not read the football thread, or once you realize what it is withdraw quickly. We get the message, you don't like football, I don't get why you feel like you have to keep telling us this.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      We get the message, you don't like football, I don't get why you feel like you have to keep telling us this.
      Insecurity...........coupled with probable Yorkshireness.....and overbearing busybodiness.

HTH
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Mowbray is a decent manager and you just need to look at how he got WBA playing and scoring goals, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

As to who the next manager is - other have said the Lennon will be a shoe in if he wins the cup and beats the Gers, personally I think it is a bad idea, unproven and unlikely to bring the Glory days back to the hoops.

Depends if you want the ability to play sexy football or winning football - that will define the manager - those mentioned Grant, Hughes etc are all defensive managers.

I know I'll get shot down for this but someone like Glenn Hoddle would be ideal.

He IS the reason why Chelsea started winning cups a while back and they played with great style.

Failing that I'd settle for a manager that can close the gap, win simple matches etc... and go for Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
          Mowbray is a decent manager and you just need to look at how he got WBA playing and scoring goals, sometimes it just doesn't work out.

As to who the next manager is - other have said the Lennon will be a shoe in if he wins the cup and beats the Gers, personally I think it is a bad idea, unproven and unlikely to bring the Glory days back to the hoops.

Depends if you want the ability to play sexy football or winning football - that will define the manager - those mentioned Grant, Hughes etc are all defensive managers.

I know I'll get shot down for this but someone like Glenn Hoddle would be ideal.

He IS the reason why Chelsea started winning cups a while back and they played with great style.

Failing that I'd settle for a manager that can close the gap, win simple matches etc... and go for Hughes

Many Celtic fans have suggested him also. Just depends how ambitious the Board decide to be. They have tried the cheap option and had their fingers burnt. As for Hoddle, I lived in Swindon when he and Gorman got them to the Premiership. Not sure he is still that highly regarded now though, and his baggage regarding "talking to God" etc. would be a nightmare in the West of Scotland environment.
          Agree with you about Lennon. No sense in going for someone with no managerial experience after what we have just endured. If he wins the last 10 matches of the season though he will certainly gain some momentum.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            John Barnes, before that Tommy Burns, Billy McNeil, Lou Macari, Davie Hay.

6 in total I think and all since the 80s.
            If memory serves me right, Barnes, Macari and Hay were fairly inexperienced at the time. That wouldn't bode well for Lennon. An experienced man is probably needed there. Hmmm...
            • Trappatoni has a good little number with Ireland, could he be arsed with Celtic at his age?
            • Hughes might think it's a bit of a backwater after progressing up the English league and being unfairly dismissed.
            • Lambert is no better qualified than Mowbray.
            • Hodgson wants to stay down south where he is in the frame for the England job when it becomes available.
            • Curbishley might not be exciting enough for Celtic.
            • If Moyes ever leaves Everton I can only see it being for Man Utd.
            • I doubt Owen Coyle would leave Bolton yet.
            • Coppell wouldn't fancy the pressure.
            • Is Avram Grant really any good?

I've got it! Raphael Benitez...

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              Many Celtic fans have suggested him also. Just depends how ambitious the Board decide to be. They have tried the cheap option and had their fingers burnt. As for Hoddle, I lived in Swindon when he and Gorman got them to the Premiership. Not sure he is still that highly regarded now though, and his baggage regarding "talking to God" etc. would be a nightmare in the West of Scotland environment.
              This is the difficult part for Celtic (and will be for Rangers soon) - how good a manager can you get, the better the manager, the more money they will expect for transfers.

Guys like Lambert, cutting their teeth in the lower english leagues and wanting a step up, may be the only option.

If Burnley hadn't been promoted for example, I'm 99% sure Owen Coyle would have taken the Celtic job last summer (but then would they have offered him it if he hadn't got Burnley promotion)

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                I've got it! Raphael Benitez...

Rafael Benitez

He is a shoe in for next manager at Real Madrid

Comment

Macari had a fairly decent record taking swindon up 2 leagues in 2 years, at the time he was probably one best up and coming managers in England, they got a crazy amount of points one season.

Celtic have a habit of wanting to hoist the role onto young ex player managers whilst in the grips of some romantic dream. The support do want more than any other in the UK an ex player to have the job and I see this happening again, Lennon, Lambert, Coyle (seen as a player who got away)

I do hope they hire the grizzled contractor type and not the young graduate you know through family this time.

And I think McCoist is a stick on for the job at rangers, it's becoming a bit of a Blair Brown situation now. If I was a rangers fan I would really be pretty worried that he has not had any time in the hot seat at another club.

Comment

And I think McCoist is a stick on for the job at rangers, it's becoming a bit of a Blair Brown situation now. If I was a rangers fan I would really be pretty worried that he has not had any time in the hot seat at another club.
                    Watty never managed a team in anger before taking over once Souness left. Ally will do fine, he is intelligent and loves his team. Lennon has only one of those traits.

Celtic have a habit of wanting to hoist the role onto young ex player managers whilst in the grips of some romantic dream. The support do want more than any other in the UK an ex player to have the job and I see this happening again, Lennon, Lambert, Coyle (seen as a player who got away)
                    Let's face it, the whole 'needs to be Celtic minded' thing is a joke. Take a manager on his ability. The problem with Scottish football is money or lack of it. Neither club will be able to attract big managers the way the SPL is going.
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                      Watty never managed a team in anger before taking over once Souness left. Ally will do fine, he is intelligent and loves his team. Lennon has only one of those traits.
                      Lennon got into grammar school and did quite well in his exams while Mr McCoist left school with nothing.

And while both have been involved in assault cases at the court, Neil Lennon was the victim while Mr McCoist was a succesfully convicted accused.

Comment

Working...
                      X