• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Arrivaderci Tony Mowbray!!"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Much better today, players were really up for it, fans were not and the attendance was about 40,000.
    Well that was significantly more than last week's 30,000.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Much better today, players were really up for it, fans were not and the attendance was about 40,000.
    Good, but that's the New Manager Syndrome.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Actually, I forgot Hoddle. I looked him up and he got 53 caps. He was a good manager at Swindon and Chelsea. Not bad for England either, but mad as a box of frogs.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Doe-eyed fans lose sight of this truism.

The last time I looked, there were 22 good players with over 50 England caps who have had a go at club management. All poor, with the exception of Keegan at Newcastle first time round.

I give you Barnes, Ball, Bob Charlton, Moore, Shilton, Bryan Robson, Wilkins, Trevor Francis, Adams, Butcher, Platt. They'd have made a fine football team with 900-odd caps between them, but who here would hire any one of them as a manager?

I've just noticed there's no full-backs in my list, so I'll throw in Mills and Pearce.
    There is a lot in what you say. If you look at the EPL it holds true as well. Of the 20 managers there how many of them were Top Players?
    Ancelotti, Bruce, Zola, O'Neill, and Mancini are about the only ones that get close IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    There are plenty of examples of great players being crap managers and vice versa.
    Doe-eyed fans lose sight of this truism.

The last time I looked, there were 22 good players with over 50 England caps who have had a go at club management. All poor, with the exception of Keegan at Newcastle first time round.

I give you Barnes, Ball, Bob Charlton, Moore, Shilton, Bryan Robson, Wilkins, Trevor Francis, Adams, Butcher, Platt. They'd have made a fine football team with 900-odd caps between them, but who here would hire any one of them as a manager?

I've just noticed there's no full-backs in my list, so I'll throw in Mills and Pearce.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Well at least his schooling was not a tax dodge from an offshore company.
    Sorry, lost me on that one.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Incognito View Post
    Did you see Lennon's press conference today. You can keep your grammar school educashun.
    Well at least his schooling was not a tax dodge from an offshore company.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    You trying to say the man doesn't know football? I'd say he's had a great apprenticeship.
    McCoist was a very successful player (well for Rangers anyway).
    Alex Ferguson was a fairly mediocre player and I am not even sure Mourinho ever even played at any real level. There are plenty of examples of great players being crap managers and vice versa. McCoist is completely untried and the jury is out on how he will perform once he has the reins at Ibrox. Same applies to Lennon at CP to be fair. The beauty of our position though is that TM is hardly a hard act to follow. When the Cardigan leaves can you really say the same for McCoist?
    Paul Le Guen "knew football", and still does. Yet he could not make a silk purse out of the sow's ear at Ibrox. And PLG had money to spend too.
    Let's just say that next season could be very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    Lennon got into grammar school and did quite well in his exams while Mr McCoist left school with nothing.
    Did you see Lennon's press conference today. You can keep your grammar school educashun.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    <Placeholder> for that coming back to bite you on the arse!!
    You trying to say the man doesn't know football? I'd say he's had a great apprenticeship.

Don't forget, this are the team 9 man Rangers beat the other week. Lennon has no money, your 'blue chip' signings are off at the end of the year, what does the future hold?

Maybe you can loan a half decent manager for half of next season.

Last edited by Incognito; 26 March 2010, 22:59.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Ally will do fine
    <Placeholder> for that coming back to bite you on the arse!!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Watty never managed a team in anger before taking over once Souness left. Ally will do fine, he is intelligent and loves his team. Lennon has only one of those traits.
    Lennon got into grammar school and did quite well in his exams while Mr McCoist left school with nothing.

And while both have been involved in assault cases at the court, Neil Lennon was the victim while Mr McCoist was a succesfully convicted accused.

Leave a comment:

• Incognito
    replied
    And I think McCoist is a stick on for the job at rangers, it's becoming a bit of a Blair Brown situation now. If I was a rangers fan I would really be pretty worried that he has not had any time in the hot seat at another club.
    Watty never managed a team in anger before taking over once Souness left. Ally will do fine, he is intelligent and loves his team. Lennon has only one of those traits.

Celtic have a habit of wanting to hoist the role onto young ex player managers whilst in the grips of some romantic dream. The support do want more than any other in the UK an ex player to have the job and I see this happening again, Lennon, Lambert, Coyle (seen as a player who got away)
    Let's face it, the whole 'needs to be Celtic minded' thing is a joke. Take a manager on his ability. The problem with Scottish football is money or lack of it. Neither club will be able to attract big managers the way the SPL is going.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Macari had a fairly decent record taking swindon up 2 leagues in 2 years, at the time he was probably one best up and coming managers in England, they got a crazy amount of points one season.

Celtic have a habit of wanting to hoist the role onto young ex player managers whilst in the grips of some romantic dream. The support do want more than any other in the UK an ex player to have the job and I see this happening again, Lennon, Lambert, Coyle (seen as a player who got away)

I do hope they hire the grizzled contractor type and not the young graduate you know through family this time.

And I think McCoist is a stick on for the job at rangers, it's becoming a bit of a Blair Brown situation now. If I was a rangers fan I would really be pretty worried that he has not had any time in the hot seat at another club.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I've got it! Raphael Benitez...

Rafael Benitez

He is a shoe in for next manager at Real Madrid

Leave a comment:

Working...
X