• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Punishing the rich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does this oik consider to be the definition of ‘rich’?

Surely almost everyone in western Europe is ‘rich’, given that we take clean water, a roof over our heads, plentiful food, free education and healthcare for granted?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Surely almost everyone in western Europe is ‘rich’, given that we take clean water, a roof over our heads, plentiful food, free education and healthcare for granted?
      Very good point, very well made... Someone hacked Mich's account???
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        I went to a manky State School and we had a fives court - although by the time I got there it was used for storage. My woodwork teacher drove a Moskvich so maybe he was a commie.

No point in punishing people for being rich, poor, southern, northern.
        Of course it was used as a storage space. Oiks do not understand fives.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Very good point, very well made... Someone hacked Mich's account???
          'tis me. I just like to mix parody and rational questioning for no particular reason. Still, makes me type so I guess people think I'm doing some work.

Perhaps I have a multiple personality disorder. Shall I ask him?

Comment

'tis me. I just like to mix parody and rational questioning for no particular reason. Still, makes me type so I guess people think I'm doing some work.

Perhaps I have a multiple personality disorder. Shall I ask them?
            FTFY.

Comment

Perhaps I have a multiple personality disorder. Shall I ask him?
              You got confused there for a second. Cool, professional logic for the workplace, childish pub banter for the General forum. Don't screw up again!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Very true, I think globally to be 'rich' you simply need clean water food and somewhere to sleep - if your really lucky not to be in danger of some kind of colonial dispute.
                Maybe his concern is over the definition of being poor???, in this case I think it;s safe to assume anyone with either pigeons or a whippet considers everyone else to be rich in comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  A northern bloke where I work, in a southern financial institution, says "we need to punish the rich". Note he was referring to the rich as a whole, not just bankers or other bete noires of the moment.

I've heard similar comments before. This view still appears to carry a lot of weight.

What have the rich done that deserves punishment?
                  Anyway, another little point. Maybe the chap should stop to think for a moment and consider whether his rants are actually maintaining the class divisions from which he seems to suffer. Perhaps he doesn’t actually know any ‘rich’ people, because they avoid him out of fear for his rather aggressive attitude to those with more money than himself. Perhaps he should also ask himself why rich people send their children to private schools; in many cases they do it because they’re genuinely scared that their children will have the crap beaten out of them every day in a state school for living in a big house on the top of the hill or having a different accent. It perhaps sounds silly, but this really happens. I know that from personal experience. Perhaps when little revolutionaries like him stop making stupid, ignorant comments about anyone he arbitrarily declares to be among ‘the rich’ there might be a chance for Britain’s class ridden society to start breaking down barriers. It seems to work quite well on the other side of the North Sea. I’m not saying there are no class divisions at all, but generally people seem less concerned about ‘the rich’ and ‘the oiks’.

Comment

You mean 'pay through the nose for', rather than 'take for granted'.
                    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                      No point in punishing people for being rich, poor, southern, northern.
                      But we can still punish the chavs can we not?
                      Growing old is mandatory
                      Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                      X