• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Selling Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    threaded,

great story

that one takes things to a new dimension

i wonder if those examples would happen to me with the Passat ?

Milan.
    My 'normal' cars generally end up getting run for so many years they're rather like 'grandfathers axe' when they eventually go to the scrap dealers.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      I've had the one where, waiting at the lights, a girl knocks on the window and asks me to marry them... (and I could tell she really meant it)
      Was this before or after the Romanian fish-wife had wiped your windscreen with Fairy liquid?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

IME Autotrader is the best bet, I came to the conclusion that paying £29 is well worth it if you want to attract serious buyers. I wasn't entirely comfortable selling a car on eBay.

However you have to be realistic on price, I recently sold a car for £8.5k (book price 7.7k-8.6k depending on where you look) where the dealers were asking £10k. Mine sold on the second day of advertising.

Saying all that their new Bangalore optimised website can be a PITA.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

ginge,

agreed,

AutoTrader's website is a pile of smelly doo dah these days crashes my web browser

Milan.

Comment

Try PistonHeads.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Try PistonHeads.
              Free ads but you're not going to get many prospective Renault Scenic buyers on a site where the tag line is 'Speed Matters'.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                Free ads but you're not going to get many prospective Renault Scenic buyers on a site where the tag line is 'Speed Matters'.
                Looks okay.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

IMO you're going to get a lot more buyers looking at a site that everyone has heard of.

Filter 'scenic' on the Pistonheads search and it returns 73, do the same on Autotrader and you get 2,960.

Comment

I've sold several cars, although they were classics, via the 'bay. The key was to put loads of large photos in the listing (by hosting them on my own site and just linking to them via the html in the description). Also put down everything you know about the car's condition is handy sections, like bodywork, engine, trim etc and say you're happy to answer any questions.

All of them sold to outside mainland UK without a single viewing. In fact anyone that did turn up normally turned out to be a time waster.

I'd have a look at other people's listings on the 'bay note what is good and bad and use that as a guide. One last thing is to make sure you construct half decent sentences - something I find a pain.

Oh and the 'trader site is a pain due to all those adverts. It seems to melt most browsers quite quickly. And to think I nearly went for an interview with them.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                      Oh and the 'trader site is a pain due to all those adverts. It seems to melt most browsers quite quickly. And to think I nearly went for an interview with them.
                      I used to enjoy browsing bike and autotrader sites but now they're a frikin mess. It's good to know there are still pathetically misguided people out there specifying / developing and testing sites as it pushes the value of the good chaps up / keeps them in jobs.

My father bought a second hand car yesterday.

After Autotrader fecked his computer for the nth time he refused to use it and bought from Piston Heads (where it's free for private individuals to advertise)

It's so amusing watching what was essentially a monopoly alienate their customers

Comment

Working...
                      X