• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://forums.contractoruk.com/1106075-post1.html

Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Unless they need a rare skill then IBs will not touch you with a proverbial unless you have previous (and recent) IB experience. I know of only one contractor who has broken into IB work. And he said many people there were dross.
      well now you know two . and i was fresh off the boat with zero FS experience, never mind IB (this was 3 years ago though).

wurzel, seriously, what have you got to lose? send your CV in, worst they can do is say no. one of my mates is an agent and he says that the banks are starting to recognise that good tech people are harder to find than people with the right business experience. ideally they'd like to get both but they can't always find that in the timeframe that they want. afaik all the big banks are hiring at the moment, both permie/contract.

at the risk of sounding harsh, i reckon most people out there are dross. at my old role i ended up doing a lot of interviewing and our reject rate at the 'written test' stage (it was just a filter to weed out the complete muppets) was around 80%, at the face-to-face it was around 90%. most IBs want people who are good, not just 'competent'.

Comment

Some government projects seem to be ending at end of May at the latest. One project speeding up to get the project completed around then. Might be just a coincedence or is the public sector gravy train slowing down, at least for now?

Comment

Originally posted by facboy View Post

wurzel, seriously, what have you got to lose?
          Nothing. I'll give it a crack.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
            Some government projects seem to be ending at end of May at the latest. One project speeding up to get the project completed around then. Might be just a coincedence or is the public sector gravy train slowing down, at least for now?
            Thats not strictly true I know of two large goverment projects that are going to go into an implementation phases shortly using a wide range of contractors for 18 months or more.

Comment

Working...
            X