• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jumping ship mid contract for a rate rise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I will meet up but then back out as "my current agents are talking about legal action". I think with that I can always get back in later on.

The thing is that it looks to be an architects role which I have not had a sniff at since I have been contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      Turn the question around.

If a well qualified reputable/reliable tradesman f****d off to another job halfway through doing one for you, would you be happy? And would you recommend said tradesman to your mates?
      That analogy only works if you've been contracted to build a single product - obviously bailing halfway through is rubbish.

A lot of contracting is build a series of sometimes unrelated products or other general toolbuilding, where leaving (with suitable notice) might be a pain for them in terms of recruiting a replacement, but hardly avandoning them in mid build.
      Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I think I will meet up but then back out as "my current agents are talking about legal action". I think with that I can always get back in later on.
        I wouldn't take that route if it were me - I would tell them that you would love to join them now, but it wouldn't be right to leave your current client mid-contract. You are a man of your word, and you stick to it - rather than being someone who would gladly abandon a client but is scared of the lawyers.

If you're not going to jump, then explain to the other client that it's because of your principles - they may admire you for it and remember that when the next opportunity comes.
        If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Don't be a wimp, the current client co will dump you when it suits them. Go for the higher rate. Be the master of your own destiny. "Principles" don't pay the bills. Cash is king.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Might consider this if clientco had shafted me with a "take it or leave it" rate cut, otherwise no.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Might consider this if clientco had shafted me with a "take it or leave it" rate cut, otherwise no.
              Only a matter of time before they do, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Only a matter of time before they do, trust me.
                In that case, it may not be worth jumping ship as one could wind up back at the same rate anyway.

Comment

In that case, it may not be worth jumping ship as one could wind up back at the same rate anyway.
                  Only one thing is certain. Nobody will look after you except yourself. Where are all the ruthless money grabbing tax dodging scum contractors in this thread then?

Comment

Well they did last year, at extension time though, I knocked it back and went on to do a bit of R&R and work for another client for some time.

I went back 8 months later when they offered me almost (15 quid diff) the same amount again.

Interview now set up, still thinking I will knock it back but i will hear what the person has to say.

Comment

chase the dime imho - you don't know for sure there will be work at current clientco in the future anyway. And again imho, the scenario of the tradesman quoted previously in this post and others is different to that if an ITC.

Comment

Working...
                      X