• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jumping ship mid contract for a rate rise?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    Turn the question around.

If a well qualified reputable/reliable tradesman f****d off to another job halfway through doing one for you, would you be happy? And would you recommend said tradesman to your mates?
    I couldnt have put it better myself

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
      As long as you fulfil your termination clause - that's what it's there for - not just for them.
      WHS
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
        I couldnt have put it better myself
        hear hear

They may offer you 33% + to satisfy their current requirement, but remember if you are expensive they will be keen to get shot of you once the job is near complete, then what will you do?
        Last edited by brigzy; 22 March 2010, 15:09. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
          As long as you fulfil your termination clause - that's what it's there for - not just for them.
          If you want to leave, then abide by the termination clause.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          I've answered the poll as yes, but I'll add a caveat - use your substitution clause!!!

1) Find somebody you trust with a similar skill set, and get them to do your current job.
          2) Move to new job
          3) Everyone's a winner!
          WMMS - use the substitution clause and get someone in to do this one. And help your IR35 defence.
          If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Further to this, I prefer to give my current client every chance to renew me up until the last minute of the current contract, so they are not disappointed that I have found something else, even if they should have got their finger out sooner!

Comment

Where is the "DEPENDS" option

I know that there won't be a third extension (coming up to 3 years) at my current client, company policy!!! And the job is dying as the apps I work on are moved aside for the latest and greatest new stuff.

So I have started looking, although my contract doesn't end til end of May (2.5 months away.

If I get one of the contracts that I have interviewed for lately and the rate and terms are ok, I will be leaving. Nothing personal to the client, its a matter of self preservation and ensuring I still have some funds coming in.

And by the time I have worked my notice, assuming they let me, then that will only be 6 weeks off completion anyway.

Nature of the beast as far as I am concerned.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                I know that there won't be a third extension (coming up to 3 years) at my current client, company policy!!! And the job is dying as the apps I work on are moved aside for the latest and greatest new stuff.

So I have started looking, although my contract doesn't end til end of May (2.5 months away.

If I get one of the contracts that I have interviewed for lately and the rate and terms are ok, I will be leaving. Nothing personal to the client, its a matter of self preservation and ensuring I still have some funds coming in.

And by the time I have worked my notice, assuming they let me, then that will only be 6 weeks off completion anyway.

Nature of the beast as far as I am concerned.
                Sadly, the way the work is coming in at the moment, you really do need to start looking now.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I voted Yes because it depends on circumstances. I'm currently jumping ship myself and money is amongst main reasons. But the contract I'm leaving is rolling 3 month contract which may have ran for another year or two. By jumping ship I'm effectively refusing to renew the contract so the purists among you will probably argue that doesn't count.

And agree with some of the responses given so far that you are using the termination clause (which they wouldn't hestitate to do if it suited them) and it's business so that 33% is not to be taken lightly.

Comment

On my current contract we have a 10% bonus at the end of the contract as an incentive to stay the duration.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                      What'e everyone's thoughts on doing this?

Been offered a substantial rate rise by an ex clientCo, a 33% increase, to move back to themn.

Problem is that my current client has taken me on before and if I move they would unlikely take me on again, same with the agent who are one of the biggest IT agents and I am on my 3rd separate contract through them.

*expects a few ‘you are a contractor and you have to ask that’ and also a few ‘quite unprofessional for you to do that’*
                      Got to be careful doing this. Not only will you piss your current client off, who you've worked for before, your previous client will also be aware you could jump ship again if a better offer came along.

If both companies are ones you've worked for and may want to work for again, I'd be inclined to stay where you are and explain this to the other client that, while you'd like to rejoin them, in this instance you cant because blah blah blah.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X