• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English Electric Lightning.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And let's not forget Harrier viffing...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      Lions. Donkeys. Doomed. Etc.
      The Septics mostly - they were up for buying TSR2 until we'd told them enough about how it worked for them to make their own. Shafted us over Concorde too. Thankfully they haven't yet managed to stop Airbus (yet)

Comment

I had the Airfix 1/24th Scale Harrier kit, still got a scar on my thumb - sliced it with a bread knife hacking a bit off the refuelling probe spigot cos it was too big. I've done my bit - tears in my eyes now looking at my war injuries...

Couldn't afford a modelling knife cos I spent all my saved-up pocket money on the kit.

Ahhh, Airfix..... Never got the Fairey Battle, no shops in the Bolton area ever stocked it, and I scoured Woolworths, Co-op, even Scale Models and Kits on Halliwell Road....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I had the Airfix 1/24th Scale Harrier kit, still got a scar on my thumb - sliced it with a bread knife hacking a bit off the refuelling probe spigot cos it was too big. I've done my bit - tears in my eyes now looking at my war injuries...

Couldn't afford a modelling knife cos I spent all my saved-up pocket money on the kit.

Ahhh, Airfix..... Never got the Fairey Battle, no shops in the Bolton area ever stocked it, and I scoured Woolworths, Co-op, even Scale Models and Kits on Halliwell Road....
          You should've had a trip into Manchester and toddled off to the modelshop on Deansgate.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            Watched Brian Cox's prog last night.

He flew in an English Electric Lightning to 60,000ft to demonstrate the curvature of the Earth and the thin blue line of the atmosphere.

Spectacular aircraft for 1959.

We did good stuff in those days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Lightning

Not to mention Blue Streak and Black Arrow.

Lions. Donkeys. Doomed. Etc.
            I had an Airfix model of the Lightning. A great looking plane.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              You should've had a trip into Manchester and toddled off to the modelshop on Deansgate.
              I remember Beatties off Market Street! But this was the mid-seventies, Manchester was a far-away place full of funny accents and when MUFC actually had fans that were from Manchester (well, Stretford then) - no, we daren't go there....

Later on in life on receipt of my first wage packet I blew the majority of it in Beatties on a 1/16th Radio Controlled Tamiya Tiger Tank, I remember walking out of the shop with it thinking - "WTF have I done....?"

Actually it was probably two or three wage packets, think that kit is about £900 now!

Comment

Heres another kit I hankered after but never found, and other piece of cracking Brit-tech that would have made the trip from Leeds to London for that contract easy, fast and cheap (possibly);

The Fairey Rotodyne. Not sure this slightly homophobic Northerner would appreciate 'entering a Fairey' but so long as my hat doesn't blow off...

Wish we could embed YouTube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  The Septics mostly - they were up for buying TSR2 until we'd told them enough about how it worked for them to make their own. Shafted us over Concorde too. Thankfully they haven't yet managed to stop Airbus (yet)
                  What a load of codswallop. We shot ourselves in the foot by making a commercial jet that broke apart (Comet). Concorde was not commercially viable.
                  The reason Airbus is viable is that its a reasonable competitor to Boeing.

I hate "stab in the back" myths, they stop us addressing our weaknesses by looking for scapegoats.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    What a load of codswallop. We shot ourselves in the foot by making a commercial jet that broke apart (Comet).
                    Yep. Square windows on aircraft, not the best idea we've ever come up with...

Still, live and learn*, eh?

(*Apart from the souls admiring said windows from the inside, obv...)
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                      I had an Airfix model of the Lightning. A great looking plane.
                      I had the old "Hurricane" and "Spitfire" kits. I then progressed to a "V2", my Dad ballsed that one up!

Comment

Working...
                      X