• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian "noise" on techie websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    To be honest though, the contractors were based in the US and we're all Indian as well.
    were?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      were?
      Well done to you and k2p2, I left that on purpose.

+1 MF point.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

ClientCo advertised about everywhere for a Django / Python dev, no response (worth noting that is). I posted on here looking for same but no joy.

Eventually ClientCo decided to give Bob a go, complete disaster but money refunded and no hard feelings but months of wasted time.

Had one last attempt with a Ukrainian dev I came across. Turned out to be excellent, project completed well within time and budget, he's now working for us full time.

I suspect we got lucky, seems the good people are busy and only the dross are available to pitch.

I still have a role I've never been able to fill (posted on here as well).
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Best laugh I had all day ....

In truth, the guys in Bangalore were ten times better than the contractors!
          Thanks on a rainy English day, I needed a good laugh to cheer me up.

I love it too when companies believe that rubbish and outsource, or even better cheekily bring Indians onto UK sites, only to find that their project is late without any end, over budget - and in the case of Avis with Peoplesoft, gobbled up all the companies profit ..... oh yes, absolute bullseys - not happy with over-budget they went for the companiy's profitability

.. . I love Indians - they are their own worst enemy - UK contractors should worry more about increased IT literacy amongst pensioners ... calling everybody 'Dear' and working for cups of tea and tea cakes

"cowboys and indians" - no difference afterall

Comment

You could be describing the project at ClientCo. Good for me though - I'm keeping their old system going till the new one is ready.

But a lot of the on-site guys (Infosys) seem really smart and switched on - the analysts get their head round complex business rules with no problem, but they seem unphased by the tulipe that's delivered from offshore - seems like the most basic system testing hasn't been done (a login screen that won't, for example, log you in). I guess they're used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              It's not just English - it's the lack of basic knowledge that we take for granted.

In my previous job we got a guy who sailed through the technical test, but had no idea what data might be expected on a credit card and how to validate it. Presumably, this also meant he'd never used an e-commerce website (which was what we were building). Same with addresses - he had no idea what fields to expect. In a job with detailed specs he'd have been fine, but it did highlight how much background knowledge I had taken for granted up until that point.
              You just reminded me of a lass I taught once. She was very bright, but couldn't understand why I specified an address with more than one address line. The answer is simple, I had lived in the UK and she hadn't.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X