• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about Quattro Audi's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    It's down to the tyres. A RWD BMW should cope easily with the snow we get in the UK with the right tyres on for the conditions.
    I'll back that up. With the 'normal' tyres on before Xmas it took 45 mins to move my 3-er into the garage to have the winter wheels put on.

Once fitted I drove away with no issues at all, and a bit of a smug grin passing all the stranded cars
    Gronda Gronda

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Why would Audi's 4 wheel drive system be any more or less able than any other manufacturers?

I would have thought all 4 wheel drive systems were much of a muchness.
      I heard it was something to do with Audi's Four Sprung Duck Technique

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
        BMW's are actually designed with 50/50 weight distribution, however this is still hopeless for snow. You want as much weight as possible over the driven wheels, plus skinny tyres - this is why small FWD hatchbacks are excellent in snow, and why the typical "abandoned on snowy hill" cars were BMW's and Mercs (especially Sport models with massive rear tyres)
        Indeed. When I got my S2000 stuck on a slight incline, there were no end of FWD cars driving past wondering what the fuss was. 50/50 weight distribution and low profile 245 wide rear summer tyres.

I'd have thought when it comes to hills and snow what you want is a dumb 4WD system that just sends the same power to all four wheels. The sophistication is in how it handles mixed conditions, and how it handles in dry conditions.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I mean the BMW 3 Series was hopeless. Even a small amount of snow and with the traction control on, the car would refuse to even try and move and with the traction control off, the car would be stuck hopelessly due to the heavy engine at the front and a very light weight rear end pusing the car deeper into the snow.

But at least you looked good stuck on the road in your Rado, gold chain and sunglasses in the depth of winter, eh?

Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            But at least you looked good stuck on the road in your Rado, gold chain and sunglasses in the depth of winter, eh?

Shouting into my new shiny iPhone 3GS at the AA

"What do you mean I'm not a priority, do you know who I am!"

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Shouting into my new shiny iPhone 3GS at the AA

"What do you mean I'm not a priority, do you know who I am!"
              Don't worry I have succumbed to Apple too and ordered a 27 inch IMAC for my fancy shed.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

My choice would be an old Land Rover with big mud+snow tyres, permanent 4WD, bend it who cares

Then drive around local hills towing stuck people up them for £20 a go

Would soon pay for itself just don't rely on the heater!

Comment

Good driving in snow I would put in this order.

Driver experience in feeling the road, choosing the speed (not to slow) and the line that you will take the car.
                  Winter Tyres
                  Type of car,

A 4x4 will slide as much as a two wheel drive if it is not setup correctly.

Having stated the above, this winter in the snow my C5 had summer tyres and however hard I tried to lose it, it came back in line.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

My e-class was fine once I fitted the winter tyres. Hopeless with normal tyres though.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Good driving in snow I would put in this order.

Driver experience in feeling the road, choosing the speed (not to slow) and the line that you will take the car.
                      Winter Tyres
                      Type of car,

A 4x4 will slide as much as a two wheel drive if it is not setup correctly.

Having stated the above, this winter in the snow my C5 had summer tyres and however hard I tried to lose it, it came back in line.
                      It's not about driving, it's living on the side of a very steep hill that never gets gritted or cleared and having a very very steep and long driveway to the house.

Car wouldn't even make it off the drive as it was like trying to drive up the side of a mountain.

Comment

Working...
                      X