• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Global Warming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That research may be a few years old (but then Newton's laws are even older, and still apply)

however as Roy Spencer points out

Warming in the US since 1973 may have been spurious

http://www.drroyspencer.com/

which kind of supports the above

i.e. warming just local
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Choose NASA or the US NOAA . There are others.

Here is a summary from the World Glacier Monitoring Service. The red bars are retreating glaciers, blue advancing.

The vast majority are melting, if you really want the name of an individual glacier, pick one of the thirty 'reference' glaciers listed here

This study, A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems published in Nature, does what it says on the tin. The researchers looked at changes in 1700 species and found 84% showing behavioural changes, mainly range-shifts polewards, consistent with climate change.

Do the vast majority of scientists agree with the IPCC? Yes.

Do all but a handful of studies underpin AGW? Yes.

Since when have Governments needed excuses to tax people? Belief in a global tax-raising conspiracy, encompassing every professional body of scientists in the world, to manufacture a global phenomenon (what - massive submerged immersion heaters in the Arctic?) indicates a rather loose relationship with reality.

Your answers were not what I was asking. Your info is too general.

Please give specific examples or accurate location. It’s no good just saying for example, glaciers in Europe. I want the name or location of particular glaciers or at least one.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

however as Roy Spencer points out ... Warming in the US since 1973 may have been spurious
        Which means it may not. The US is about 2% of the globe, btw. And, if we are relying on unreviewed blogs, I give you ... WotsUpWithThat
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

papers always begin unreviewed. Roy Spencer is using his blog entry to get it reviewed. He has announced that he and John Christy will be submitting a paper.

...and in any case such reports are valid and citable, when from a reputable source, which you ought to know if you were familiar with the scientific process. They're still part of the scientific debate.

But then most Warmists conduct a thoelogical debate:

international committees of Nobel laureates passing down opinions on tablets of stone.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 March 2010, 08:27.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Your answers were not what I was asking. Your info is too general.

Please give specific examples or accurate location. It’s no good just saying for example, glaciers in Europe. I want the name or location of particular glaciers or at least one.
            The report at http://www.grid.unep.ch/glaciers/ has lists of glaciers, by name.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

List of melting glaciers can be found here:

http://www.appinsys.com/GlobalWarmin...E_Glaciers.htm

Does contain a longer history to give a wider perspective, i.e. a removal of some of the theological aspects to the melting glaciers debate.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8571353.stm

Two government press adverts which used nursery rhymes to raise awareness of climate change have been banned by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

It said the advertisements went beyond mainstream scientific consensus in asserting that climate change would cause flooding and drought.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

LOL! The World Glacier Monitoring Service is unequivocal, the overwhelming majority of glaciers are losing mass balance [=shrinking]. But for anyone who really want individual glaciers [and is allergic to Google] ...

As Europe was mentioned: Over the five-year period from 2000-2005, 115 of 115 glaciers examined in Switzerland retreated, 115 of 115 glaciers in Austria reatreated, in Italy during 2005 50 glaciers were retreating and 3 stationary , and all 7 glaciers observed in France were in retreat ... As an example, since 1870 the Argentière Glacier and Mont Blanc Glacier have receded by 1,150 m (3,770 ft) and 1,400 m (4,600 ft), respectively. The largest glacier in France, the Mer de Glace, which is 11 km (6.8 mi) long and 400 m (1,300 ft) thick, has lost 8.3% of its length, or 1 km (0.62 mi), in 130 years, and thinned by 27%, or 150 m.

...In examining 612 glaciers in China between 1950 and 1970, 53% of the glaciers studied were retreating. After 1990, 95% of these glaciers were measured to be retreating,

... Glaciers in the Mount Everest region of the Himalayas are all in a state of retreat. The Rongbuk Glacier, draining the north side of Mount Everest into Tibet, has been retreating 20 m (66 ft) per year

More examples than you could feasibly require here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retreat...ers_since_1850

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    The report at http://www.grid.unep.ch/glaciers/ has lists of glaciers, by name.
                    It still does not give details of any particular glaciers. It has names, but no details. For example the strongest wording for European Glaciers is:

Variations show a general trend of glacier retreat over the past 150 years. How scientific is that?

Comment

Troll?

It still does not give details of any particular glaciers. It has names, but no details. For example the strongest wording for European Glaciers is:
                      Are you trolling? ... look here http://www.grid.unep.ch/glaciers/pdfs/6_5.pdf

Down the LH side ... a list of named Eurpoean glaciers with a graph showing the trend. Other chapters show the same information for other regions.

Comment

Working...
                      X