• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dulcet tones of a 3 year old having a tantrum at bedtime!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Another trick for when kids have a tantrum is to have a set of score cards ready, according to volume and consistency of screams, coordinated kicking of arms and legs, and shade of puce achieved.

"Not only are you really upset, but no-one's taking you seriously".
    Is that the new official policy for moderating General?
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Another trick for when kids have a tantrum is to have a set of score cards ready, according to volume and consistency of screams, coordinated kicking of arms and legs, and shade of puce achieved.

"Not only are you really upset, but no-one's taking you seriously".
      Oh I like that idea. Do you have any for Suityou?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Too many namby pamby modern parenting methods here.

You shout (yes, raise that voice), "Get to bed NOW. No bath, no food, and definitely NO story. I do not want to see you, nor hear from you, until morning. Do you understand?" Trust me, they will understand and next time you raise your voice, they won't answer you back like a smartarse.

You can't rant about lack of discipline with 'modern parents' if you don't use it yourself. 'Story' is rewarding bad behaviour - and you know where that will lead.
        Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
          Too many namby pamby modern parenting methods here.

You shout (yes, raise that voice), "Get to bed NOW. No bath, no food, and definitely NO story. I do not want to see you, nor hear from you, until morning. Do you understand?" Trust me, they will understand and next time you raise your voice, they won't answer you back like a smartarse.

You can't rant about lack of discipline with 'modern parents' if you don't use it yourself. 'Story' is rewarding bad behaviour - and you know where that will lead.
          So SizeZero. Do you smack your children? (or anyone elses, in case you dont have any)
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I just look meaningfully at the garden and say "We used to have seven children, but four misbehaved". None of this namby-pamby, bleeding heart, tree hugging, wishy wasy liberal smacking.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              So SizeZero. Do you smack your children? (or anyone elses, in case you dont have any)
              I don't need to. From the youngest to the oldest, they know from a raised eyebrow when they've crossed the line and they back down. If they learn fast that a tantrum gets them nowhere, they employ other manipulation devices - usually less stressful ones.

I have tapped hands in the past, yes, and I'm not ashamed of it: it's been for repeated dangerous behaviour (eg. you tell them not to stick something metallic in a disc drive because they could electrocute themselves, they do it anyway, you tap the back of their hand with a firm NO). I've never done it out of anger, frustration, etc, and never needed to do it past their 5th birthday. You do it for shock value, not to physically hurt: and shock value only works if it is used very infrequently, for the most serious of situations. Needless to say, my kids and electrical equipment continued to live side by side in harmony.

Naturally I won't tell you how to raise your kids, it's your responsibility to raise them to adulthood by the methods you find best.
              Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
                I don't need to. From the youngest to the oldest, they know from a raised eyebrow when they've crossed the line and they back down. If they learn fast that a tantrum gets them nowhere, they employ other manipulation devices - usually less stressful ones.

I have tapped hands in the past, yes, and I'm not ashamed of it: it's been for repeated dangerous behaviour (eg. you tell them not to stick something metallic in a disc drive because they could electrocute themselves, they do it anyway, you tap the back of their hand with a firm NO). I've never done it out of anger, frustration, etc, and never needed to do it past their 5th birthday. You do it for shock value, not to physically hurt: and shock value only works if it is used very infrequently, for the most serious of situations. Needless to say, my kids and electrical equipment continued to live side by side in harmony.

Naturally I won't tell you how to raise your kids, it's your responsibility to raise them to adulthood by the methods you find best.
                WSS.

I think you're all singing from the same hymn sheet - discipline and boundries work.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  WSS.

I think you're all singing from the same hymn sheet - discipline and boundries work.
                  I keep telling the missus that, but she pushes and pushes. another night in the coal-hole if she doesn't behave

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I keep telling the missus that, but she pushes and pushes. another night in the coal-hole if she doesn't behave

I see where you are coming from EO. FWIW, if that does not work then dousing her with cold water before lobbing her into the coalhole may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Anyone tried the naughty step, naughty bench, naughty rug, naughty chair,etc....

I've watched 100 episodes of Supernanny. I'm ready for the terrible twos
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X