• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you reading?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Whole House Book: Ecological Building Design and Materials.
    It is a bit carp so far - seems like it has been written by someone who has just done some desktop research to cash in on current trends.

I haven't read any fiction since I failed higher English for the second time in 1994.
    Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
      [...] I haven't read any fiction since I failed higher English for the second time in 1994.
      Hi al_cam. I keep hearing this a lot: People have stopped reading fiction.

I find it quite disturbing. Reading fiction was one of the things that got me through some of the more difficult passages of my life. I can't imagine going through life without the occasional escape that a well-crafted novel provides.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I've a few by the bed to read - but at the moment, I don't have the attention span for it.. I'm still reading the sunday paper too - usually takes me most of the week
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
          Hi al_cam. I keep hearing this a lot: People have stopped reading fiction.

I find it quite disturbing. Reading fiction was one of the things that got me through some of the more difficult passages of my life. I can't imagine going through life without the occasional escape that a well-crafted novel provides.
          Agreed.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I'm looking for something new to read, can anyone recommend or otherwise the books of Niall Ferguson?

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Just finished this

I've got Paradise lost, The Art of War and The Prince lined up next.
              There's an extra "ht" and "tp://" wrapped around your link

Comment

BIG recommendation for a couple of life-sucking trilogies:

Robin Hobb - Farseer Trilogy & Tawny Man Trilogy.

Just on the last book of the second trilogy but every one was a gem. Start with the Assassins Apprentice and work through 'em.
                Last edited by Durbs; 10 March 2010, 19:03.

Comment

I am currently working on The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose, Herman Hesse's The Glass Bead Game, a Will Self book, and a couple of technical books.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've just started

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      I've just started

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
                      That's on my "unread" shelf, next to Getting Things Done

Comment

Working...
                      X