• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eccentricity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    In Victorian and Edwardian times, the working class flocked to evening classes and self-improvement schemes were oversubscribed.
    Then came the welfare state and the working class were robbed of their pride and turned into chavs content to get fat and watch plasma TV.
    That's regress for you.
    Who created the welfare state, was it Labour by any chance?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welfare-Stat.../dp/1842751611

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Who created the welfare state, was it Labour by any chance?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welfare-Stat.../dp/1842751611
      That's a tulip book.
      The welfare state was a good idea as a safety net - then it got too big.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

In Victorian and Edwardian times, the working class flocked to evening classes and self-improvement schemes were oversubscribed.
        Then came the welfare state and the working class were robbed of their pride and turned into chavs content to get fat and watch plasma TV.
        That's regress for you.
        When I were a lad, there were some rather fine examples of architecture known as Mechanics' Institutes which bore testament to that.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I'm a great admirer of eccentrics.

I've always wanted to be one myself, but I think I lack the courage and sheer bloodymindedness to do it properly. I'm probably not quite mad enough either - but getting there.

When I was a lad, there used to be an old boy in the town known as 'Johnny Hat'. He was a veteran of the Great War and wore a ridiculously wide row of medals (collect from pawn brokers far and wide) and an ancient, battered top hat.

At any civic gathering in the town (esp. Rememberance Sunday), Johnny Hat would appear at the back of the crowd and suddenly launch into a tirade about how everyone and anyone in uniform (from air-vice marshals to traffic wardens) were 'a shower of treacherous f***ing bastards' and that 'Stalin had it right'.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            When I were a lad, there were some rather fine examples of architecture known as Mechanics' Institutes which bore testament to that.
            And the old polytechnics were in some cases very fine technical institutions - till they were converted into poncy 3rd rate "universities" doing useless degrees.
            Although to be fair that process happened under the Tories.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              I'm a great admirer of eccentrics.

I've always wanted to be one myself, but I think I lack the courage and sheer bloodymindedness to do it properly. I'm probably not quite mad enough either - but getting there.

When I was a lad, there used to be an old boy in the town known as 'Johnny Hat'. He was a veteran of the Great War and wore a ridiculously wide row of medals (collect from pawn brokers far and wide) and an ancient, battered top hat.

At any civic gathering in the town (esp. Rememberance Sunday), Johnny Hat would appear at the back of the crowd and suddenly launch into a tirade about how everyone and anyone in uniform (from air-vice marshals to traffic wardens) were 'a shower of treacherous f***ing bastards' and that 'Stalin had it right'.
              Glad to see you back old chap
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Glad to see you back old chap
                Thanks Mitch.

I must say you're looking rather spiffy with your top hat, cane and all.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

There was a chap who used to eat from the bins at the back of the village shop. Apparently he was a Lord of some description.

My mum called him an eccentric. I called him a drunken tramp.

I think it's a fine line.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

And the old polytechnics were in some cases very fine technical institutions - till they were converted into poncy 3rd rate "universities" doing useless degrees.
                    Although to be fair that process happened under the Tories.
                    I note from the Wiki link I gave above that the Manchester Mechanics' Institute became UMIST.

The Mechanics Institute in one place I lived is still in operation, and the bigger one down the road which got demolished in the 1970s still has an operational library. Damn. I 've got the urge to see what they are like nowadays, but it's too far to make it home by teatime.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                      Thanks Mitch.

I must say you're looking rather spiffy with your top hat, cane and all.
                      Indeed, I felt that a little sartorial improvement might raise the tone in here. All in vain, I fear.
                      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                      X