• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eccentricity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Adolf was Austrian. It's perhaps no coincidence that the Austrians are the butt of many a joke in Germany and Switzerland.
    If Adolf had had a daughter and a cellar the world would have been spared many horrors.

OK Ok IGMC.*

*Thats a joke I heard in Germany. Don't blame the messenger.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

My great grandfather was an eccentric German. And most certainly not a nazi.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        My great grandfather was an eccentric German. And most certainly not a nazi.
        Anyone who was not a nazi at that time must have had balls of steel

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I would guess that most people in germany were not nazis when Mitch great gramps were a lad

Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Well he left for England in 1905 as a young chap, so he missed out on the arian supremacy crap. Anglicized his name in 1914 to avoid anti-German discrimination. He built up a successful jewelry business and a machine servicing company in Manchester, ran a pub that held German philosophy evenings, played violin to concert standard, learnt to play cricket (a german cricketer!?!?) which he taught my grandfather in the back garden, who went on to play county cricket, became by today’s standards a multi millionaire and was the definition of a polymath. He then went bankrupt by bribing officials in the 1930s to let refugees into Britain and ended up interned on the Isle of Man. Committed suicide in 1945 and was given a pauper’s burial.

I’m the one with the steel balls.
            Last edited by Mich the Tester; 10 March 2010, 15:55.

Comment

Well he left for England in 1905, so he missed out on the arian supremacy crap. Anglicized his name in 1914 to avoid anti-German discrimination. He built up a successful jewelry business and a machine servicing company in Manchester, ran a pub that held German philosophy evenings, played violin to concert standard, learnt to play cricket (a german cricketer!?!?) which he taught my grandfather in the back garden, who went on to play county cricket, became by today’s standards a multi millionaire and was the definition of a polymath. He then went bankrupt by bribing officials in the 1930s to let refugees into Britain and ended up interned on the Isle of Man. Committed suicide in 1945 and was given a pauper’s burial.
              He ran German philosophy evenings in a pub in Manchester ? Blooming heck, theres enough material there for a bluddy good film

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

He ran German philosophy evenings in a pub in Manchester ? Blooming heck, theres enough material there for a bluddy good film

Well not in 1914-18 obviously. His first job as a teenager was in a pub where musicians and students came in, not really your average working mens’ club.

Bloody cool guy. Would indeed be worth a film, but there were so many others with even more exciting stories. Most of them were interned in WW2 ‘for their own protection’.

Comment

Well he left for England in 1905 as a young chap, so he missed out on the arian supremacy crap. Anglicized his name in 1914 to avoid anti-German discrimination. He built up a successful jewelry business and a machine servicing company in Manchester, ran a pub that held German philosophy evenings, played violin to concert standard, learnt to play cricket (a german cricketer!?!?) which he taught my grandfather in the back garden, who went on to play county cricket, became by today’s standards a multi millionaire and was the definition of a polymath. He then went bankrupt by bribing officials in the 1930s to let refugees into Britain and ended up interned on the Isle of Man. Committed suicide in 1945 and was given a pauper’s burial.

I’m the one with the steel balls.
                  Good pic. Question re technique. Should your back foot not be further "backward" to allow for greater hip and shoulder rotation as you look quite open-chested as it is?

Comment

In Victorian and Edwardian times, the working class flocked to evening classes and self-improvement schemes were oversubscribed.
                    Then came the welfare state and the working class were robbed of their pride and turned into chavs content to get fat and watch plasma TV.
                    That's regress for you.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      Good pic. Question re technique. Should your back foot not be further "backward" to allow for greater hip and shoulder rotation as you look quite open-chested as it is?
                      It isn't me. I don’t post pictures of myself on t’internet.

The only real answer is ‘if possible’. If the athlete has that sort of mobility then he can use it. If he doesn’t then he might rely on a deeper ‘dip’ to use a longer leg extension to add power. It’s all dependent on the individual’s body. Personally I quite like his style and it would work for me as my hip mobility’s not all that great either.
                      Last edited by Mich the Tester; 10 March 2010, 16:07.

Comment

Working...
                      X