• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank Holiday working?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Quiet - "contract termination" and "bad reference" are the operative words that spring to mind
    As I say, that is my approach. It's seen me right over the years, every client has offered renewals, no-one has batted an eyelid, and I've always been in work when I wanted it.

I would say you're talking bollarks, but that would be rude, and not in line with the new community spirit on this board...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
      Officially ‘bank’ holidays are just that, holidays for people who work in banks.
      They are public holidays according to gov.uk

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/governme...heuk/dg_073741

HTH.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
        Your not a permie. Days "in lieu" don't exist as a contractor.
        You turn up you and deliver and you get paid. Don't turn up or don't deliver and dont' get paid.

Just tell them what you want cash wise to turn up. If they refuse don't go in.

Simple.
        In the true sense of the word I guess it doesn't but it can be used to introduce an element of flexibility which has a similar outcome. What you call it is up to you but in lieu is pretty well understood.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
          I would say you're talking bollarks, but that would be rude, and not in line with the new community spirit on this board...
          We have a new community spirit?

Comment

I've added so many to my ignore list all of a sudden the site seems OK again.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              They are public holidays according to gov.uk

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/governme...heuk/dg_073741

HTH.
              I stand corrected, however for the original poster:

‘You don't have an automatic right to paid leave on bank and public holidays, though many people receive the day off work. Any right to time off or extra pay for working on a bank holiday depends on the terms of your contract of employment.’

I think that’s what I was trying to say, although I got it seriously ar*e to face!
              "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

I hope it tastes like Makers Mark, that's a nice spirit
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
                  I stand corrected, however for the original poster:

‘You don't have an automatic right to paid leave on bank and public holidays, though many people receive the day off work. Any right to time off or extra pay for working on a bank holiday depends on the terms of your contract of employment.’

I think that’s what I was trying to say, although I got it seriously ar*e to face!
                  Yep, I know my contract doesn't distinguish between a normal day and a bank holiday so I could work if I wanted to.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Your not a permie. Days "in lieu" don't exist as a contractor.

You turn up you and deliver and you get paid. Don't turn up or don't deliver and don't get paid.
                    Yes, I see your point there, though I was actually thinking along the lines of being paid for a standard day's work and having a day off later. But you're right that the time off thing doesn't apply to contractors.

I do see a Bank Holiday as a special day though, just as I would see working through the night as being special, or working over weekends. I would negotiate a different rate if this was routinely expected, and not work it if there was no extra compensation. I would expect a contract cleaning company or a security company to charge a different rate for night or weekend or Bank Holiday work, and my company should do the same.

That's what I thought, but the majority here have said, "Just work it, it's money you wouldn't have otherwise," and I will certainly think about that advice! And wait for the agent to reply.

Comment

I would work it if I didn't have other plans and I would charge my normal day rate - the same as if I occasionally need to work on a weekend. If you want to charge a different rate than your standard rate then you should ideally have that in your contract. If you can organise something different now then give it a go.
                      Loopy Loo

Comment

Working...
                      X