• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a car from a dealer advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You can't buy car for cash these days?
    As I understand it, it's very difficult if not impossible (due to money laundering regs)

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      As I understand it, it's very difficult if not impossible (due to money laundering regs)
      Cash as in full amount upfront without getting finance, ie - paying by card.

The phenomenon it seems to me is that car prices are dropped to lure in suckers and main profit is made from "0%" finance deal. Just another example how unchecked financial junk is skewing otherwise normal businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Ok this might sound a bit stupid but I haven't had to buy a car from a dealer is as long as I can remember due to company cars etc etc... so...what to do...

I have the car spotted. Seen dealer and had a look but not shown enough interest to take it for a drive. Lets say its around 14k and 2k cheaper than Glass guide.
        Money is in debit account, don't particualarly want to take it out cash, or is it worthwhile doing so to help negotiation. Is this putting the cash on the table bit a load of rubbish?

How flexible can they be in the current climate bearing in mind it's under glass's guide already. He has only had it 2 weeks.

Should I have it AA checked before I agree a price or after agreement but obviously before payment?

Sorry for dumb question but been so long since I stepped foot in a dealer I feel like a complete noob!!
        Think I'd walk away from this deal or at least investigate it very carefully. The dealer has only had it 2 weeks and its 2k under glasses guide? Doesnt stack up.

If all his cars are 2k under glasses value then you could argue he sells cheaply to move the metal. But if its the only one, I'd be concerned why he has valued it so low.

As for discounts, I dont know where some people have been for the last few years. Although its correct dealers have reduced discounts due to the car scrapage scheme, you could get very good discounts on cars. I got nearly 5k off the bimmer convertible when I bought it last june after the dealer told me they'd perhaps knock another '500 quid' off it. After a test drive and a couple of calls he knew I was interested but not at the price it was up for. He eventually called me and asked me where we were at so I told him I'd do the deal but at £x. Phoned me back after discussing with the 'business manager' that we had a deal. Sorted And its a great car, was out in it today with the roof down

I wouldnt bother so much about waving cash about and dont go in demanding a discount because the dealer 'cant sell cars' etc. Do your research about road tax, depreciation and how one or two other cars interest you and the dealers are willing to negotiate.

A dealer needs to move a car on after 90 days max on their forecourt. If the one you're looking at has only been on for 2 weeks, he may not knock much more off the sticker price.

Oh and the best time to buy a new / newer car is towards the end of the 3rd week of the month. That's when you'll get your best deal if the dealer is struggling to make his target.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Depends if the dealer is clued up or not.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/getstarted/register/hvd.htm
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Cash as in full amount upfront without getting finance, ie - paying by card.
            You can.

They don't like it though as it doesn't help their commission.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              the cash thing doesnt work any more. (well it hasnt worked for me the last few years)
              they seem to be suprised when you dont want finance, and I think it puts them out a bit

sign of the times maybe

You are not allowed to pay more than £10,000 in cash for an item, as a result of money laundering regulations introduced in 2003.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-advice/bu...ayment/3141776

Even when you pay cash for a car, the dealer must report you to the Stasi and HMCR under the 2009 regulations.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/news/index.htm
              Last edited by Paddy; 8 March 2010, 07:04.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                You are not allowed to pay more than £10,000 in cash for an item, as a result of money laundering regulations introduced in 2003.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-advice/bu...ayment/3141776
                That is a somewhat misleading interpretation of the act (IMO, IANAL).

If your dealer can be arsed, to set themselves up as a high value dealer then they are allowed to accept cash in any amount.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X