• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New boiler quote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
    I would just Google it and see if it looked like a job I could do myself, and what it would cost for bits and take it from there.

It sounds like it isn't anything to do with the gas side of things so you are probably OK to do it yourself.
    Not true at all. They are VERY strict with anything even tangentially related to gas. Not to say you can't do it, but risky for the amount you'd save.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

What make is the boiler? I have a huge floor mounted Worcester-Bosch which needed a new diverter valve in January for which I paid a local (W-B approved) firm £320; however it packed up again at the end of last month.

To cut a long story short(ish) the original firm didn't turn up for their appointment to have another look at it (or answer their phone all the next day), another (approved) firm came and had a look and manfully declared themselves clueless, and I went to W-B themselves.

W-B offer an inclusive price of £285 which seemed a lot but that includes most parts (one or two are excluded)

The guy was here for 3 hours, totally knew his stuff and what impressed me was that he looked at everything that might go wrong because W-B have a 30 day recall policy, if it goes again within 30 days (ten year old boiler) they come back at no extra charge and, more to the point, his bonus is related to the number of recalls, so on top of a new heat exchanger he gave the whole thing a good going over, new seals everywhere, put a new pump on and generally did everything he could to protect his bonus

I think the financial industry could learn a lot from this policy?

R

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        Get a recommendation for a plumber and get more quotes. Don't bother with british gas as they will rip you off.
        No luv. You seriously need to think about bleeding your radiators. Is yer 'usband in?

I'll get me spanner ...
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Your man's quote tallies roughly with mine a year ago from my local company that service the current, 17 year old boiler; A rated combi boiler and thermostat radiator valves £1800 incl. VAT

BG came in about £700 more

Comment

Working...
          X