• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

using home address as the business address

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No they won't.

Not unless your business is something where you fix cars or do some sort of therapy where you have customers visiting you on your premise.

A simple home office with a desk, phone and computer and no visiting customers means you don't have to pay business rates.
    Sorry that's incorrect. Having customers visit your home isnt the single criteria. You could still be liable to BR for using your home or part of it as an office.

http://www.mybusinessrates.gov.uk/wa...king_from_home

A number of factors will determine whether the space in your home used as an ‘office’ will be liable for business rates. These will include the extent and frequency of the business use of the room (or rooms) and any special modifications made to the property. Each case is considered individually, usually through a visit from your local Valuation Office
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

The whole thing is a tad confusing. My only true options are to rent a commercial property if I want true anonymity, even then it is not guaranteed.

I do dislike how authoritarian this state has become.

The baseball bat behind the door stays for the now...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        The whole thing is a tad confusing. My only true options are to rent a commercial property if I want true anonymity, even then it is not guaranteed.
        That's not going to get you anonymity. You're a director. Your personal address is a matter of record and tied to the company.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Sorry that's incorrect. Having customers visit your home isnt the single criteria. You could still be liable to BR for using your home or part of it as an office.
          Speaking to my accountant and doing investigation how I've use my home for business means I'm not liable to pay business rates.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Do those of you using your home address as official registered business address display a plaque indicating this fact? I seem to recall that this is a legal requirement, technically speaking?

I have a mental image of my accountant having a room just lined with little metal plaques, like some weird trophy case.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Mine has been changed to that of my accountants.

I didn't want any conflicts with home insurance etc...
              I had the same but some of my company letters were stolen .
              and a few iphones were purchased by someone using my company letters .
              Now i have changed it back to my home address.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                I had the same but some of my company letters were stolen .
                and a few iphones were purchased by someone using my company letters .
                Now i have changed it back to my home address.
                1)Your post can be stolen regardless where it's sent to.
                2)Your official address doesn't have to be used as a correspondence address
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Do those of you using your home address as official registered business address display a plaque indicating this fact? I seem to recall that this is a legal requirement, technically speaking?
                  I think that requirement went away with the latest revision of the Companies Act. Which is a shame.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Yep but no one I know who has a business registered from their address or their parents address did this.

I have a mental image of my accountant having a room just lined with little metal plaques, like some weird trophy case.
                    The office services and accountants who do it tend to have a lines of business plaques business stuck outside their entrance or in reception.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Speaking to my accountant and doing investigation how I've use my home for business means I'm not liable to pay business rates.
                      Sorry, again, but that's not quite right. The only people who can definitely say whether you're liable or not to BR is the local valuation officer.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X