• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here like f**tball

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I'm sick and tired of the press coverage and obsessive idiots wobbling on about it constantly.
    …and the primitive predecessors of the modern gorilla who went on the rampage in Amsterdam Central Station last Thursday before some f**tball match, terrorizing train passengers, singing songs about gassing Jews and generally making a pain in the arse of themselves.

…and the scumbag tulipepants who beat up the referee of a nearby club’s under 9s (yes, under 9s) after his son’s goal had been disallowed.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

i really enjoy the world cup and i maintain a modicum of knowledge so that i can have a conversation with those who have the obsession but otherwise it's boring and boorish. i'm in the client co fantasy league just for a larf. last time i looked i was holding the wooden spoon. i anticipate that i will be keeping it come the end of the season.

Comment

I'm a season ticket holder at a lower league club. I also enjoyed playing the game. So yes, I like f**tball.

If the hooligans and other morons weren't doing bad things around football, they'd do it elsewhere. In fact, many of them probably do.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          In answer to the original question.

Not at all and I couldn't care less if it ceased to exist completely.

I'm sick and tired of the press coverage and obsessive idiots wobbling on about it constantly.
          Well said.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I'm a season ticket holder at a lower league club. I also enjoyed playing the game. So yes, I like f**tball.

If the hooligans and other morons weren't doing bad things around football, they'd do it elsewhere. In fact, many of them probably do.
            Don’t tell me football clubs don’t encourage the tribalism. The incessant merchandising of new shirts with one puny stripe altered to sell whole new kits to kids whose parents can’t afford it but don't know any better. The cheap, naff showboating rituals of the players after they’ve scored one measly point. The constant arguing and even shoving around directed at the referee. The pretence that football companies are ‘clubs’ (althought they maybe once were) when actually what you’re watching is reds against blues in a competition of multinationals even less meaningful than arguments about whether to fill up at Shell or BP. The chav players with their abysmal taste in show off bling. Football companies and football contractors (professional players) do very well out of encouraging poorly educated thugs in search of an ‘identity’ to spend all their income on crap that identifies them as part of one particular tribe. The fact that the very same people enjoy beating up the members of the other tribe is obviously neither here nor there, because if the FA or any other football organization gave a stuff they’d start by forcing football companies and contractors to behave like professional sportspeople on and off the field.

Nothing wrong with the concept of a kickball game, but a lot wrong with how it's run.

Comment

Of course clubs actively encourage tribalism, that's the point of having supporters.

They don't actively encourage violence though. They actively discourage it.

Tribalism occurs in all walks of life, most violently amongst rival street-gangs and mischef-makers in towns and cities throughout the country which have no connection to football. Some people are like that.

It's no surprise football gets its share of nutters, because more people follow that than any other sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Don’t tell me football clubs don’t encourage the tribalism.

The fact that the very same people enjoy beating up the members of the other tribe is obviously neither here nor there, because if the FA or any other football organization gave a stuff they’d start by forcing football companies and contractors to behave like professional sportspeople on and off the field.
                Cricket

Rugby

Tennis

Volleyball

Sorry, what's your point caller?
                "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                  Cricket

Rugby

Tennis

Volleyball

Sorry, what's your point caller?
                  You’re pointing to isolated, but indeed ugly incidents in other sports. Football has a constant structural problem and as far as I can see it’s doing nothing to get rid of it.

Comment

I enjoy f**tball (Mr C doesn't).

On more than one contract where I've had to work away I've specifically picked a pub showing footy, to go in, eat and have a beer without stares or unwanted attention.

These types of pub are non-sexist in my experience - you're there because you like to watch a game or two. And it's been the case in Germany, Switzerland, Brussels, Bristol...

There is a definitely etiquette as well. You're looked upon favourably if you quietly clap a good defensive play, irrespective of who the defenders are...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      You’re pointing to isolated, but indeed ugly incidents in other sports. Football has a constant structural problem and as far as I can see it’s doing nothing to get rid of it.
                      It's unfortunate because you could argue that football is the most followed sport in the world going by weekly attendances. Now out of that bad element, you could put them in a church on a Sunday and they'd still end up fighting with someone. You can't blame the sport, you blame the society. Look at Japan, I very much doubt the concept of hooliganism has reared its head in the J league (however with the advent of the EPL that may change)
                      "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                      X