• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear (tm): Britain at risk of worse deficit crisis than Greece

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Britain is at risk of a Govenment deficit crisis worse than that of Greece, sparking serious fears over the economic stability of the country.

In surprise news which sent the pound sliding on Thursday, official figures showed that the Government borrowed £4.3 billion last month.

It was the first time since 1993 that the public finances had gone into the red in January – a month in which tax revenues usually push the Exchequer into the black

Such a deficit would, at 12.8 per cent of British gross domestic product,

:::

Sorry too tired to put CUK favourites AtW comments...
    Not to worry, Alexie, I've highlighted the salient points for you.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I and many others saw this coming back in 2001 when the government went all out trying to destroy technology jobs in the UK by greasing the outsourcing and insourcing wheels, as well as making life as difficult as possible for IT contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Not to worry, Alexie, I've highlighted the salient points for you.
        coffee + monitor moment
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hang on a minute. This is from the BBC website

It is the first time the government has borrowed money in January - usually a bumper month for income from tax receipts - since records began in 1993.
          Linky

Records began in 1993?

WTF were they doing before that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
            WTF were they doing before that?
            All records probably lost in floods of 1992

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Tulip, I'm still holding everything I own in Sterling too
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I and many others saw this coming back in 2001 when the government went all out trying to destroy technology jobs in the UK by greasing the outsourcing and insourcing wheels, as well as making life as difficult as possible for IT contractors.
                New Labour Friends of India.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7K4Q-QM0UA

Ensuring the business barriers of sending work to India is as low as possible.

Comment

Hang on a sec - isn't this just the yearly figure that is worse than Greece? Their overall deficit is much worse than ours IIRC???
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                  X