• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The train to London trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veeraswamy

Before the first time I went I'd seen reviews at both ends of the spectrum, so I took some good mates and warned them that it would either be excellent or rude and disappointing but should be fun either way. Fortunately we found it brilliant, and then came back another time and it was brilliant again. Except for a mate who ordered the curry that comes topped with silver leaf and rose petals but if you're going to ignore the warning signs...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I've stayed in the hotel du vin a few times whilst in Cambridge, got a good commercial rate of around £100 too, now that's a hotel. They know how to look after you, until I'd gone and spent £50 in the restaurant that is, gosh that's some tasty wine...
      Hotel du vin, you can never go wrong with and they always have internet deals on their website.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        London is ****ed. There is sod all British about the place anymore.

True, people in London have to work hard to subsidise the "British" way of life as practiced oop north: claiming the social, drinking lagers and watching plasma TV all day.

HTH
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

what about the lowlights?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            True, people in London have to work hard to subsidise the "British" way of life as practiced oop north: claiming the social, drinking lagers and watching plasma TV all day.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              £100-£150 hotel anywhere outside London will seem like paradise compared to what's on offer in the city.

Hotel's in this country (Scotland too) are generally so out of touch with modern requirements.

Was recently charged £135 for one night at the best western in Bedford, what a sh$£%@£T hole. I almost felt like calling the police for theft.
              I have resorted to sleeping in the car when the Best Western’s the only place with any rooms left. It is possibly the worst hotel chain in the world, with no redeeming features whatsoever.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

went to Veeraswamy for a meal. Bit of a rip-off really. Firstly when booking the table they told us that if we cancelled before 17:30 then the credit card would be charged GBP30 but seeing as we were booking at 17:15 for a meal at 22:30
                Whenever I'm in London I always head south of the river to eat, specifically around the Lambeth/Stockwell area where there are some great Portuguese cafe-bars. Great food, good prices and you avoid the tourist crowds.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Whenever I'm in London I head up to the Whisky society up in Greville St for lunch. It's like stepping into a Harry potter coffee shop - 5 minutes in the door and you don't know your in London anymore - magic
                  Last edited by scooterscot; 10 February 2010, 13:25.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

We picked that particular hotel - Hilton because its only 5 minutes walk from St. Pancras and didn't want to faff around with tubes and luggage. Last time I stayed in London was at the Ibis in West Brompton, nice large room, car parking and just outside the congestion zone and easy to get into the center, price was better than the Hilton. Bet Paris doesn't stay there
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X