• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I withdraw contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    How would you like it if the agency signed you then called you up the day before and cancelled it because they found someone they could get a higher profit margin from?? nope thought not and you'd be on here bitching and moaning about your rights..
    That scenario would never happen because agent would be risking losing the client

Now if you said, "<b>Client</b> called you up the day before and cancelled it" I would say…pretty regular occurrence, so regular in fact that many of us don't consider a contract "secure" until either first week has past, or for the really pessimistic, until the first invoice is paid

And because of that I say, play it as mercenary as your ethics can stand because neither agency nor client will think twice about screwing you if it suits them

Originally posted by chef View Post
    What's the 'king point of having a contract if to you it means absolute jack all?
    Because in most cases the "contracts" do mean absolutely jack all, "template contracts" are generally worthless, one-sided pieces of garbage that no is really going to pursue in a court of law because once lawyers start looking at them aggressively people quickly realise they are not as watertight as they thought and pursuing someone in court over them is not worth the effort/risk cost

If agents/clients/contractors really want airtight contract's, not only are they going to have to start putting a lot more effort (and cost) into them but also be prepared to take to the courts every single breach (like that's going to happen). Only then will the contract mean something, until then they will continue to just stupid pieces of paper to argue over
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 8 February 2010, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Do not be so self righteous about it. Agents indulge in this sort of thing almost every day and don't even start on clients. Clients terminating the contract without notice etc.

You are pretty much on your own in this greedy selfish world and nobody else gives a toss about honouring contracts.
      Just because agents indulge in this sort of behaviour does not give anyone any justification for doing the same. When we hurt others we try rationalise it usually by going to the extreme end of cruelty-which is what you are advocating.

If you break the contract then you will noy only have your own conscience to deal with but you will be doing your little bit to push more business to offshoring companies. You will also be cutting off a potential client (and people do not forget) and encouraging people to not use independent freelancers.

If you were a doctor, an accountant or a lawyer then such behaviour would not go without there being recourse for the client. You are not a professional and it bloo*y well shows.
      Last edited by DodgyAgent; 8 February 2010, 17:58.
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher
        I'm surprised no one has suggested this yet.....

Take both.
        There's an entrepreneur among us.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          you will be doing your little bit to push more business to offshoring companies. You will also be cutting off a potential client (and people do not forget) and encouraging people to not use independent freelancers.
          Bulltulip

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Bulltulip
            WHS

I've been just as ruthless as agents when it came to manipulating contracts. The only people it's 'harmed' are agencies who can go **** themselves.

How many times have I heard 'you're blacklisted' only to called by the very same agency two weeks later
            Last edited by Cliphead; 8 February 2010, 18:59.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Refuse the terms and conditions on the login screen of your terminal.
              Brilliant!!

Comment

Just because agents indulge in this sort of behaviour does not give anyone any justification for doing the same. When we hurt others we try rationalise it usually by going to the extreme end of cruelty-which is what you are advocating.

If you break the contract then you will noy only have your own conscience to deal with but you will be doing your little bit to push more business to offshoring companies. You will also be cutting off a potential client (and people do not forget) and encouraging people to not use independent freelancers.

If you were a doctor, an accountant or a lawyer then such behaviour would not go without there being recourse for the client. You are not a professional and it bloo*y well shows.
                thats a bit harsh. He hasn't run off whilst performing surgey with someones liver out, or in court just before performing the defense half way through a trial. Running off before even starting work is far more respectable tha leaving the job half done. He's just responding to market conditions and he could even give the clientco the chance to match the price.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  thats a bit harsh. He hasn't run off whilst performing surgey with someones liver out, or in court just before performing the defense half way through a trial. Running off before even starting work is far more respectable tha leaving the job half done. He's just responding to market conditions and he could even give the clientco the chance to match the price.
                  I wasnt actually referring my comments to the individual who started the thread. I do have sympathy for him and at least he is discussing his situation in a pragmatic way in trying to weigh things up . My issue is with the little twerp calling himself "fullyautomatictwat"

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    WHS

I've been just as ruthless as agents when it came to manipulating contracts. The only people it's 'harmed' are agencies who can go **** themselves.

How many times have I heard 'you're blacklisted' only to called by the very same agency two weeks later
                    And you are quite right to do so. It is part and parcel of what we agents are meant to do for our money. treatment of clients is another matter altogether.

Comment

I wasnt actually referring my comments to the individual who started the thread. I do have sympathy for him and at least he is discussing his situation in a pragmatic way in trying to weigh things up . My issue is with the little twerp calling himself "fullyautomatictwat"
                      ahh ok then carry on . That'll teach me for reading and posting on my teeny tiny smartphone screen on my horrendous commute home.

Comment

Working...
                      X