• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fighting the machine...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Break of journey

You may not start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station except to change to/from connecting trains as shown on the ticket(s) or other valid travel itinerary.
    They could legimately claim that "ScooterScot failed to change to a connecting train at each intermediate station".
    No, that clause won't be a problem. Taking each part in turn, that applies to the following circumstances in the case where one has a ticket from A to C stopping at B:
    • "Start": one is not allowed to start one's journey at B;
    • "End": one is not allowed to end one's journey at B;
    • "Break and resume": one is not allowed to get off at B and then resume the journey on a later train to C, except for the purpose of changing to a connecting train.

It doesn't say anything about the case where each station marks the end of one journey and the start of a new one, for each of which a valid ticket is held. In particular, it doesn't impose any requirement to change to a connecting train at an intermediate station and as, in this case, there is no connecting train, none of the three cases is relevant.

Comment

Edit: * What ScooterScot did is kosher. See NF's link below. *

I disagree with your interpretation of:
      You may not ... break and resume ... your journey at any intermediate station except to change to/from connecting trains
      as
      Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      • "Break and resume": one is not allowed to get off at B and then resume the journey on a later train to C, except for the purpose of changing to a connecting train.
      Although the intention of the original wording was to stop you using a one-way ticket as a wy to visit every town on the route, that is not what it says.

He is breaking his journey without making use of a connecting train. He is arriving at an intermediate station and is then failing to use a connecting train and is, instead, travelling on a different ticket on the same train to complete his journey.

I would expect a court to recognise his journey is between the extreme ends of his trip on the railway network. He is not even getting off the train, and if he did, he would immediately get back on. So he is clearly using unnecessary complexity to evade paying the full fare for the journey by abusing the flexibility of the ticket system. That is, he is pretending to break his journey so as to avoid paying a larger fare and this is apparent by his having neither need nor desire to use a connecting train. And I would not be at all surprised at a ticket inspector using that argument to demand more money, nor at a train company taking the matter to court.

(But I also think ScooterScot should go ahead and do it anyway.)
      Last edited by RichardCranium; 7 February 2010, 13:19. Reason: I was wrong
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I disagree with your interpretation of:asAlthough the intention of the original wording was to stop you using a one-way ticket as a wy to visit every town on the route, that is not what it says.

He is breaking his journey without making use of a connecting train. He is arriving at an intermediate station and is then failing to use a connecting train and is, instead, travelling on a different ticket on the same train to complete his journey.

I would expect a court to recognise his journey is between the extreme ends of his trip on the railway network. He is not even getting off the train, and if he did, he would immediately get back on. So he is clearly using unnecessary complexity to evade paying the full fare for the journey by abusing the flexibility of the ticket system. That is, he is pretending to break his journey so as to avoid paying a larger fare and this is apparent by his having neither need nor desire to use a connecting train. And I would not be at all surprised at a ticket inspector using that argument to demand more money, nor at a train company taking the matter to court.

(But I also think ScooterScot should go ahead and do it anyway.)
        He isn't making one journey and breaking it, he is making multiple journeys all of which happen to be served by the same train.

In fact, this technique is frequently suggested as an effective way of cutting the cost of train travel, as there is nothing in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage to forbid it - a fact even ATOC accept.

The one potential problem would be the seat change at Newcastle: a particularly mardy inspector could swoop at that point, as the Ts & Cs clearly state that "Where applicable, you must travel in the Class and reserved seat(s) shown on the ticket(s)." The safest thing is to move to the correct seat, as otherwise the ticket is technically invalid.

Oh, of course the other catch is that the train must actually be scheduled to stop at each station: get that wrong and you're screwed.

Comment

He isn't making one journey and breaking it, he is making multiple journeys all of which happen to be served by the same train.

In fact, this technique is frequently suggested as an effective way of cutting the cost of train travel
          I still disagree. He is artifically breaking a journey for no other purpose that to avoid paying the full fare for that journey.

there is nothing in the National Rail Conditions of Carriage to forbid it - a fact even ATOC accept.
          I bow humbly to your better knowlege and/or research skills.

Although I wish they had quoted their source for the unattributed statement:

It’s perfectly allowed within the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, and has been confirmed by the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC). The
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 7 February 2010, 13:24. Reason: Now I'm not so sure it is kosher...
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I bow humbly to your better knowlege and/or research skills.
            Google's

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Ok I've spent some hours figuring this out, 3 of them to be exact.

Last week my return to Cambridge cost me £264 on the East Coast line.

My matrix of sorts in excel records the cost station to station all the way from Edinburgh to Cambridge and back again.

I've just gone to the station and printed off 10 tickets at the machine (it took the machine a minute and a queue built up behind me fairly quickly as I waited)

Its cost me £47!!

And I'll be using the same train as I did last week

One section of the journey I have a ticket for a price of £16 from Peterborough to Edinburgh!

This system is MAD

At Paddyville, stations near London are considerably cheaper but also stations further away are cheaper to travel to London. SW Trains specifically forbid boarding and alighting at any stations other that what’s on the ticket (cheap tickets). So much for the free market.

I can't find any ticket between Peterborough and Edinburgh for £16. Is this fare on Thetrainline? If so these tickets can not be used in conjunction with other tickets however, when I do so; I get off and back on the train!
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Perfectly legal - been around for a few years - called split ticketing. The only condition is that the train must stop at the stations you split your ticket on (which it will if you are using advance purchase tickets for specific trains).

It occurs because train companies charge to meet expectations of people to pay. People won't pay extortionate prices for short trips, but are more prepared to stump up the cash for longer trips.

Also if you buy over the counter/phone, they must sell you any combination of tickets you ask for. But if you ask for a "return to ...", they will sell you exactly what you asked for - even though there are cheaper options available.

As train companies notice that more and more of these combinations are being sold, they tend to close down the options, usually by increasing the shorter distance fares, figuring it's better to lose a few short journey fares than suffer a large scale loss of their core fares.
                Last edited by centurian; 7 February 2010, 13:48.

Comment

The next step is to buy 10 season tickets to ensure maximum savings potential

Comment

How many miles can you do on £47 of petrol?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I can't find any ticket between Peterborough and Edinburgh for £16. Is this fare on Thetrainline? If so these tickets can not be used in conjunction with other tickets however, when I do so; I get off and back on the train!
                      East coast website.

Here it is £16 for 300 miles...

https://tickets.eastcoast.co.uk/ec/e...=NoModifyGuest
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X