• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

City chaps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City chaps

Does anyone know anything about this crowd - like what do they actually do?

http://www.wcit.org.uk/

Originally posted by NoddY

Why not have a look at their website and actually read the contents? If you're having trouble with the long words then just come back to us.

Comment

"The Worshipful Company of Information Technologists is part of a Livery tradition dating back hundreds of years."

For years they were called the Company Livery of Information Technologists, but they had trouble attracting new members.

Comment

Somebody is simply trying to accord your low life "profession" with some integrity, by elevating it into being respected as a profession in the same way that for example the Grocers are regarded.

"Trade and craft associations have flourished all over Europe for many centuries, but the City of London companies, now collectively known as the Livery, are unique in their survival, number and diversity.

The social and economic conditions which gave birth to the original guilds have long since been overtaken by the development of industry and commerce, but the livery companies still flourish today as living institutions. Their survival has been achieved by doing what they have always done: fostering their trade in a wide context, serving the community, and embracing modern skills and professions. Today there are 107 livery companies in the City of London. "

It means that someone is taking you seriously, so show some appreciation.

BTW does anyone know if there is a worshipful company of recruitment agents?
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Yes Dodgy. I believe it's called the Smelly Company of Pimps
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            Yes Dodgy. I believe it's called the Smelly Company of Pimps

what do you have to do to get a compliment around here?
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
              what do you have to do to get a compliment around here?
              Sending a cheque for £100 might do it ...
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by TGAOTU
                Why not have a look at their website and actually read the contents? If you're having trouble with the long words then just come back to us.
                A lot of their work is a duplication of the BCS.

I just thought there was something more - that's all.

Comment

Is it feck! Quit talking out of your arse boy and read their website!

Comment

I wonder if being a freeman of the City of London entitles one to any perks or privileges, like tax breaks or free parking within the liberty (a bowshot from the ramparts) of the Tower or something. Highly unlikely, but you never know.
                    Last edited by OwlHoot; 21 December 2005, 07:18.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X